rear dropout width etc

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
I know this is a bit of an old chestnut but I couldn't find a thread here, so any words of wisdom re popping a 130 axle into 126 dropouts? I mean it does fit, albeit with the skewers not making 100% contact with the outer faces because of the slight splay, but should the frame be reset for safety etc?
I heard stories about people getting away with it for years with no problems; i'd hate to be the guy who's stays collapse under stress on a quick descent! :oops:

alot of old timers argue that it will need cold setting and so on, but, as a bodger extraordinaire, I just find forcing the rear stays apart by a few mm seems to cause no long term harm

dropouts

dbmtb":2sdtwmwx said:
It's unlikely to cause damage - it's just a PITA when you have to do a wheel change.

tell me about it 3 punctures in row... hedges trimmed thorns everywhere :x

No problem with the seat stays, the extra stress is on the rear skewer, which is pulling the ends parallel against the locknuts.
It should be OK.

cold setting is forcing the chain stays in or out :) just a new term people seem to use nowadays.If you are fussy its best to do it once and properly on an alignment table as you really need to re align the drop outs faces back to square.You also need to make sure nothing else moves on the frame as you pull on the chainstays.If its not done properly you can kink the seat stays at the brake bridge and chain stays will go at the BB bridge

Back