Road riding on cyclocross tyres?

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
Im looking at poss fitting some cyclocross tyres to my singlespeed. As the sunday ride has an optional bridleway type affair, But ive been missing it out with the roadie.

What are the cyclo tyres like on the road? Loads of drag? crap in the corners/braking? If its similar to some wide road tyres then that would be perfect....

I know this is a sweeping question realy as theres lots of tyres out there. But just looking for a general idea?

bloomin eck they are barganious arnt they! Think its gotta be worth me ordering some to just give em a go....

Cheers mate :D

To be fair i wouldnt need anything chunkyer than that. The trail is loose gravel with some foresty wood cut bits on the floor. Pretty basic stuff realy but the views are nice round there...

cross tyres

Just be careful when riding knobblies in the wet when cornering as you dont have a lot of contact with the tarmac and tyre contact.

yeah ive had that on cheap mtb tyres before.... not fun lol.. Unless you like drifting a bike :LOL:

Grip is an issue for sure....

Fastest cross tyres I've tried are Schwalbe CX Pro 30mms.

They're even faster than Racing Ralphs, especially if you pump them hard for tarmac.

Go for a semi-slick tyre like the Schwalbes CX or Michelin Jets - they have only a small amount of tread in the centre to give speed on hard surfaces but have some side-knobs to give some grip in loose / softer conditions. Because the knobs on CX tyres are far smaller they don't squirm around as much on the road, unlike an MTB tyre - downside is they wear quickly. Finally, if you want sometging tougher, look at Schwalbe Landcruisers - continuous centre-tread makes them reasonably quick on road.

+1 for Landcruisers

They are heavy but very sturdy and roll surprisingly well if pumped up hard - they're the tyre of choice at the 3 Peaks for a reason! I seem to remember that they are also very competitively priced.

Back