Can someone remind me of a Raleigh with aero tubing?

I found and scanned a better photo. I've got me Record Sprint but what of the other two? Both are Raleigh, clearly but what bike? I think my friends burgundy one was "classic" or "countryman" maybe

L2B1980s.jpg

Ah yes, Campag gears, that was the holy grail back then. I think Shimano were better known for their fishing reels at that time.
Unfortunately for my friend there, he decided to fit a new BB the night before the London to Brighton ride and somehow it was slightly too small a diameter and the cups started to move out. He ended up getting the bus home.

The white one is in Panasonic team colours. With aerospace ( oval) tubing, these were made in team colours from '84-86. They started as 10 speed and then changed to 12 speed. 18-23 High tensile steel frame. Braze on front mech.

Mine is '86 and has a space shuttle logo on the cross bar, where it meets the seat tube. The one in the pic looks not to have that detail, so earlier i would guess.

If, however, the down, and seat tubes are not oval, it will be a higher spec frame. Most of the higher spec frames had "shot in" seat stay's, the one in the pic has "normal" stay's, and rear brake cable run on the top of the top tube, like mine. Could be a later "Service des course", as these had normal profile tubing, normal seat stay's and a top tube cable run.

Click the Pannasonic link at the bottom of this post, and look at the links in the one that appears. They might help to identify this bike a bit better.

Where did you grow up? Didnt all teenagers in the 80s have burners? Rather than holdsworth and raleigh aero spec'd racers :D

The team colours Raleigh was my brothers, it didn't have contoured tubing for sure.

I grew up in Dartford, Kent. Yes, most kids had Burners, or home made "trackers" as we called them, a 5 speed road bike with cowhorn bars. In my school there was a group of us who seemed to favour better bikes. Carlton, Holdsworth etc. A ribbing about the quality of ones lugs or brazing was how we rolled. None of these mobile phone or trainer bullying.

I used to cycle alone every evening after school on a few set routes. Although self-calculated I was getting close to an hour for 25 miles. I hated the idea of cycles clubs though and early Sunday runs. Took up MTBing when I left school and when I got married it was all downhill for riding and general fitness.

My brother really got into it though, he had a Roberts bike built for him, I think it was about £900 for the frame, back in the early 90's and a Taylor track frame built too. He also has a pristine, virtually unused P7 in my mum's loft as he never got on with off-roading.

Back