Raleigh Record Sprint 1985.

Daccordimark: well spotted, the stem is fitted correctly now, that photo was taken before I had fitted it properly, :oops:

Supratada: Nice photos, it that you on the RRS?

I really didn’t think my, not so cool Raleigh would get so much attention, I guess its one of those bike lots of folk have fond memory of. Its only taken me 25 years to get my hand on one, after lusting of this bike in my LBS when I was a young lad.

Cheers Brian

PS any tips on keeping galvanised spokes looking half decent?

MADB":yvjtg9cx said:
Daccordimark: well spotted, the stem is fitted correctly now, that photo was taken before I had fitted it properly, :oops:

I really didn’t think my, not so cool Raleigh would get so much attention, I guess its one of those bike lots of folk have fond memory of. Its only taken me 25 years to get my hand on one, after lusting of this bike in my LBS when I was a young lad.

Cheers Brian

wire wool or get them re-laced.

MADB":2o8aq9jg said:

It is indeed, with 80's tinted specs. I'm twice the man I was then, mind.
I'll have to ask my mother how much the bike was when they bought it for me. I too didn't realise it was that special at the time, but from reading here it seems I may have been more spoilt as a kid then I have given credit for.

I found that I started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. The hubs did not have countersunk spoke holes and that created a pressure point at the spoke bend, that's where they always snapped.

I dismantled the wheels and countersunk all the hubs, then rebuilt, then disassembled, then rebuilt with Stainless DB spokes, then rebuilt again with aero Wolber rims.

Could be worth checking as I don't think they're up to strong adult forces.

I have one of these Sprints, out on it yesterday, and it is a 23" frame but it is all black, chainset, calipers, DT levers, brake levers and no suicide levers. It is completely standard and almost mint condition. Very light [11.5kg with pump and pedals] and responsive though I intend to lower the gearing. I've had the gold/black one in the past but never seen a completely black one before.

Lovely bikes, here's mine, I'd say about 1985

photo.jpg

I remember polishing up the spokes every so often with solvol on a rag, made them shine like stainless steel !! I remember the wienmann rims, really skinny concave black beauties. My bike is reputedley sat in an old mates loft after my dad gave it to him about 10 years ago. I'm going to give him a call :LOL:

that looks so sweet :D

remember my mate having one while i had the 15 speed raleigh maverick for xmas 85.went on a xmas bike ride with him and spent all day trying to keep up with him!! :oops:

shawnb that is a very cool pic, you should denfinatley get your old bike back they realy are very nice to ride.

Mine is just about ready for an other strip down.

MADB":3lfudixf said:
shawnb that is a very cool pic, you should denfinatley get your old bike back they realy are very nice to ride.

Mine is just about ready for an other strip down.

I've just been in touch with my mate and it's been landfill for years apparently :(

I'm loving all the Record Sprint pictures - they're great bikes!

I've just finished re-building a friend's RRS after he managed to snap the frame at the bottom of the seat-stay, just above the drop-out. It was repaired and I rebuilt it as a fixie on his request.

It looks pretty mean:

RRS2.jpg

Don't worry about all the original parts that came off it though - they were used to rebuild a second frame that he got hold of. The second bike is far too big for me (it's one of the maaaaasive ones that were referred to earlier on in this thread) so it'll end up on eBay in the spring to fund my next bike project...

RRS3.jpg

Going back up thread to the question about galvanised spokes. Vinegar and a nylon kitchen scouring pad (the fairly fine gentle ones) works well for galvanised spokes. Genuinely rusty ones might need wire wool, but if they're just tarnished, the vinegar works a treat. Smells nice too (in my opinion), but makes me crave some pie and chips to put it on...
Nick

Back