south west roll call!!! show us your ugly mug!!!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So this thread is to introduce yourself to everyone else!! :D

What i want is a pic or two of yourself, what you ride, where you ride, I want as many people as poss in our area to post in here as it gives a good idea of who is posting and who is riding at the meets.

The idea being that we can get to know each other better, so that when we meet at a ride we'll know who we all are!!

so come on!! :D

GET YOUR UGLY MUGS OUT!!! :D :D :LOL:

p.s i'll do mine in a bit ;) got some other stuff to sort first! :)

So here's me!!! :D

about me:-

I live on the coast 16miles out of Southampton, i am a northerner masquerading as a southerner, originally from Scunthorpe, Manchester, Norfolk then here for the last 20 years so i am mostly southern shandy drinker!

I work on a chemical plant, in a lab, I get to wear a really cool white coat, and it's shift work, hence seeing some of my posting times at daft o'clock in the morning! it's dull work but it a good wage so I have no complaints really.

I did my time in the bike trade, 12 years, at 3 different shops, Solent cycles which went bust after i left, then Cyclexperience in Brockenhurst in the New Forest where i opened 2 more shops for them, Christchurch, and Hythe (the afore mentioned Solent cycles shop) all 3 are still doing well. Then i went to work for GA cycles in Southampton which was more high end, there i built 4 bikes for the Yamaha-Utag team which won the Ride Across AMerica (RAAM) vets catagory the first time they tried :cool:

i left the bike trade mainly for money :roll: if i stayed i would never beable to buy my own place :( as much as i loved it i don't regret the move to the chemical industry.

bikes:-

92 kona explosif
92 orange aluminium O
92 orange aluminium O
93 orange elite
93 orange clockwork
95 orange E3
95 orange P7
95 orange vit T2
96? proflex
99? orange evo 2?
06 orange patriot 66
07 orange clockwork limited edition number 200/200
08 strange orange st4

95 cougar
96 orange dynamo2
99 fausto coppi
09 condor
10 condor singlespeed
03 lime crosswork cyclocross bike

i ride mainly in the New Forest as that's where i live but i love riding in Wales, this year i intend to ride further north, hopefully Scotland. :D

here's some pics :D

YOUR TURN!!!!! :D

Attachments

• me at mayhem 2009.jpg
    me at mayhem 2009.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 14,486
  • IOW naughty ride.jpg
    IOW naughty ride.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 14,486
  • me on the trails in wales.jpg
    me on the trails in wales.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 14,486
  • me at the salisbury plain challenge.jpg
    me at the salisbury plain challenge.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14,486
My turn then I suppose :D

I live in Alum Chine, near Bournemouth.
I stumbled across retroBIKE while googling for information on a 92 Cannondale that I'd bought on ebay to take to Germany for me to use when I'm there with work.
The rest, as they say, is history!

I ride mainly on The Purbecks, Wareham Forest and The New Forest but sometimes venture to Wales and the Isle Of Wight (on Jonnys infamous rides :D )
Finding retroBIKE and attending my first organised ride re-ignited my long lost passion for cycling. I've passed this onto a lot of my friends and now have a good group who I cycle with on a regular basis...thanks retroBIKE (and Jonny for inviting me on the first IOW ride ;) )

For those who haven't attended a retroBIKE meet, do so if you can. The IOW ridea are always a laugh (especialy if Heathy attends :LOL: ) so get involved!

My most modern bike is my Rock Lobster (first pic!) and I've just started work on what will be my oldest (an 86' Stumpy). I 'raced' my Overbury's at Mayhem last year and it was a first for both bike an rider!

DSC01296.jpg

mayhem2010037.jpg

RockhopperComp032.jpg

The current fleet (although the modern RM is now sold ;) ) minus the Stumpy project...

DSC01230.jpg

hi im kirbdug

i live in torquay devon
i ride near torquay and haldon

ive ridden at the haldon, woodbury common and forest of dean retrobike
rides and also organised a ride at afan in wales in 09

my rides
1989 sarracen tufftrax
1990 kona lava dome
199? marin muirwoods
1996 gt zaskar
1997 kona cinder cone
1998 cannondale super v
2008 spesh stumpjumper fsr
and a spesh allez road bike

going to do more rides in the future

kirbdug :D

Attachments

• kirbdug_450.jpg
    kirbdug_450.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14,466
  • the_boys_at_glyncorrwg_205.jpg
    the_boys_at_glyncorrwg_205.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 14,466
  • March2009058.jpg
    March2009058.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 14,466
  • woodbury retro ride.jpg
    woodbury retro ride.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 14,466
i remember that afan ride! was good apart from having silly almost bald narrow tyres on my clockwork!!

:D

jonnyboy666":2us8ydi3 said:
i remember that afan ride! was good apart from having silly almost bald narrow tyres on my clockwork!!

:D

my bad point was blowing a seal on my rear fox shock and nursing the bike back to the camp site in that awful hail storm

kirbdug :D

This is me aka James,

I'm Bristol based and speak the local lingo :LOL:

I have a a collection of old bikes that are all riders, I don't have any modern or bling but love late 80's and early 90's mtbs

Here are some pics of me :oops:

forestofdeanride031.jpg

MM10040.jpg

gmonster_on_almost_the_last_climb_6.jpg

My bike but not me (yet...)

Here's a photo of my bike that I've been building for nearly a year now; it should be finished by the end of Feb

I work in Swindon (where I keep the bike for evening rides) but live in West Wales (where the hills are better but I have little free time for myself)

I'll post a mugshot of myself with my bike in retro gear (but NOT shorts...!) and also, once I've mastered my mate's scanner, I'll upload some photos of me racing in the 80s and 90s on a variety of, what are now called, retro mountain bikes :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• Mine 10 - RetroBike.jpg
    Mine 10 - RetroBike.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 14,416
Live in Ottery now, but used to live in Kennford at the base of Haldon Hill - which was nice :cool:

Still ride up Haldon......also Woodbury, Dartmoor, and over East Devon towards Lyme. Been on 3 of the SW Retrobike rides so far.....and much fun they were too!

Grew up near Swindon, so my MTBing teeth were cut on the sticky, chalky & gritty trails of the Berkshire downs - many a brake pad lost in action up there! Miss the trails up there, but components do last a lot longer down here.

Current main rides are a Ti Global Softtail with USE SUB forks and lots of UK bits 'n' pieces, a Sunn Crosss singlespeed, and a 1991 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech.

Latest posts

Back