700C wheels and cross tyres in a MTB frame?

A mate from my old road club did it with regular MTB forks and deep drop dual pivot road brakes. Still had reasonable clearance for road tyres. It was a Raleigh Dynatech of some description iirc.

Dr S":ii91ui1g said:
I'm thinking along the lines of a fast singletrack / urban commutor kinda thing; think hybrid on coke. I want a bike i can just jump on and go for a fast run for a few hours on a sunday without the drag of fat tyres. I tried a road bike last year and hated the fact i could not dive off down the footpaths i was passing along the way.
I was pondering the use of very shallow drops or Jones H bars rather than arse in the air drops. The extra height shouldn't be too much of a problem i hope.

I'm just waiting /planning a similar thing. Must think about axle spacings. I'm waiting for some 700c wheels built on xt hubs to arrive via postman. Then going in a cindercone with a 700c project2 v/canti fork and a mavic adaptor for the rear. If all works out will ditch the mavic thing and get the canti bosses brazed on. Just going 14 or 16sp so can use short cage mech for tidiness.

Will start a build thread... ... if it ever happens :)

You can run mini v-brakes or cantis with road STI units. The only problem using mini v-brakes is that they have to be set-up so close to the rim removing the wheel requires deflating the tyre first.

Chain stay bridges here and no problems.

Fork is a 26'' Salsa cromoto

Tyres are 32mm

IMGP1743.jpg

IMGP1742.jpg

IMGP1744.jpg

BB was a little high but no major problems

not quite on topic but this is just as capable on fairly rough off road and mud:

the_norman_tractor_112.jpg

A point to note: Magura road levers do not work with disc brakes, if you can find them.

these are fairly tough budget Rigida wheels and Shwalbe Landcruiser tyres

i run xtr v's on road wheels and road sti's no problem with Travel Agents. Have to say they work better than with v levers on the mtb.

The frame I am using is disc only so I will choose cable discs or regular hydraulic discs on Jones bars if I take that route.

Possibly red rag to a bull but a friend (who is also registered here I think) has been running a regular on one inbred with 700c wheels, cable discs and drops as his winter road bike for a few years now.

John":1bin7yxz said:
Possibly red rag to a bull but a friend (who is also registered here I think) has been running a regular on one inbred with 700c wheels, cable discs and drops as his winter road bike for a few years now.

speak up! did you say 'on-one'?

Latest posts

Back