MTB for children

They grow so fast I doubt I would spend that kinda cash unless it was second hand.

As long as it's cheap, reasonably built the kids will love it

Bullpup":l40o5gbw said:
Specialized do the Hotrock in a variety of guises including the full suspension A1 FSR. Scott do a junior as well.

If your feeling adventurous have a look at this although it may be a tad big for a 7 year old: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 290#425290

25a1ff10.jpg

Just realised that's one of my builds, Bit big for a 7 year old but not much if they are tall for their age, that's my sons bike - cost £150 all in. Got a red hope wheel for the front now too, but that will only get fitted when he's not doing school runs.

Definately satisfying building your own if you have the time and inclination...
Gaz's miniClockwork... http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=45
miniclockwork-2.jpg

He's not that big (unlike his dad :LOL: ) so I think he needs a 20" or 22" bike for now! But I can start building him a small 24" Explosif! Exactly the same one like his dad, so we can race with matching bikes! :p :p

Just get a 24" frame, spray it gold and get a pair of decals from Gil! :p :p

Stumpjumper - I'm loving this post - I am convinced that you are on to something here with the retro4kids approach - my sons have started off on a couple of tiny modern Ridgebacks which seem to weigh more than is physically possible - Gaz's Clockwork is an inspiration - does anyone else have any mini-BOTM contenders?

Theres a girls 20" Hotrock frame on ebay at the moment Quick strip and polish and your up and running. Bidding only 99p plus postage at the moment. Been on at least once if not twice before and hasn't sold.

Bullpup":30c1cv99 said:
Theres a girls 20" Hotrock frame on ebay at the moment Quick strip and polish and your up and running. Bidding only 99p plus postage at the moment. Been on at least once if not twice before and hasn't sold.

Thanks! Will follow!

There's also a complete boys 20" Hotrock on ebay.de from €1,-

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
sylus":ee954v4x said:
They grow so fast I doubt I would spend that kinda cash unless it was second hand.

I can't believe I'm reading this on our forum. :shock:

An extra kg on a kids bike is like 4 kg extra for an adult. Most kids bikes weigh 25-30lbs anyway.

The Islabikes have brake levers for small hands, cranks the right length and light frames.

Unless you consider an £79 45lb Tesco bike with 225mm cranks adequate for yourself offroad, then do the kid a favour and buy an Islabike. YES they are a little more to buy, but you get it all back at resale. We are on Isla No.5 now, one we bought secondhand we sold on a year later at a profit! :cool:

funkster":1beyyd07 said:
does anyone else have any mini-BOTM contenders?

not mini but midi. 1995 24" wheel GT Zaskar

Frame: Zaskar
Fork Ballistic leading edge elastomer
Headset: Dia Compe Aheadset
Stem: GT Chromoly internal clamping
Handlebar: GT Alloy
Grips: Odyssey mini
Brake Levers: Dia Compe MX-101
Shifters: Deore XT SL-M740
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seat Post: Syncros
Crank: GT CNC 155mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M900 XTR
Front Derailleur: Shimano M900 XTR
Cassette: Shimano XTR CS-M900
Hubs: Shimano M900 XTR
Rims: Araya RM-20
Tires: Ritchey Z-Max 24x2.0

Attachments

• PICT1211.JPG
    PICT1211.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,443
  • PICT1206.JPG
    PICT1206.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,443
  • PICT1203.JPG
    PICT1203.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,443
Just noticed the Islabikes have all gone up in price since before xmas, I guess a combination of vat and rising raw costs :(

hamster":bqbjcyoj said:
sylus":bqbjcyoj said:

I can't believe I'm reading this on our forum. :shock:

An extra kg on a kids bike is like 4 kg extra for an adult. Most kids bikes weigh 25-30lbs anyway.

The Islabikes have brake levers for small hands, cranks the right length and light frames.

Unless you consider an £79 45lb Tesco bike with 225mm cranks adequate for yourself offroad, then do the kid a favour and buy an Islabike. YES they are a little more to buy, but you get it all back at resale. We are on Isla No.5 now, one we bought secondhand we sold on a year later at a profit! :cool:

The Hotrock and my lads Carrera both have the parts you mention are both well built with comparable parts. I would never buy a Tescos or Toys r us BSO for one of mine. The Islabikes are overpriced IMO, when the Hotrock can be had for £80 less.

Carl.

Back