1990 Kona Cindercone - Paint Splatter

drystonepaul":80g701np said:
he even crashed it too

I was just testing the bail out properties of the build.

Reluctant":80g701np said:
Could I be cheeky and suggest that a tyre upgrade is in order? A nice pair of amberwall Smoke/ Dart maybe? (other than that it's perfecto!)

I do have a Smoke and Dart in my spares as well, the tyres were reasonable, but may go to my Giant Escaper, as the tread etc will suit the year of that. Never been sure about the effectiveness of the Dart Tyre, so I am not sure what tyre will end up on the Kona. If only White Porcs were cheap.

Stunning == Love the kona

I had one BITD but I think it had Deore LX group set and I really wanted an Explosive with the green with yellow splatted and DX group set.

I agree, that damm freewheel catalog had a lot to answer too. Most of my paper round cash when where way after getting the catalog.

kona

fantastic, original tbg cindercone, and a great build with cool pics.....well done .....very nice.... :cool:

Iwasgoodonce":3bz98yyn said:
Very Nice indeed. What are the differences between the two top end groupsets?

well now your asking

The suntour shifters are very nice and clicky, along with a neat slim clamp design. The hubs use sealed bearings and have grease ports, so should last forever. splines on the XC pro freewheel are different to shimano so you have to use Suntour cassette, these are hard to get. The front mech looks sleek and well made along with the fact you can split the cage from the tube clamp, but I can see a lot of play in the area developing as the bush wears out.

In short I think the Shimano stuff is tuff as boots and would take a harsh winter pounding without reliability issue, and the Suntour maybe not?

I heard that shifting and reliability problems earned the SUNTOUR stuff a bad name on the racing curcuit BITD, but it was said to be good at first.

Supratada":3q26bw9u said:
What is the "self-energising" system on those Suntour cantis then?
The spring housing looks very deep.

This is a neat device that pulls the brakes into the braking suface of the rim as the pads are pulled forward by the wheel, so the more the wheel wants to go forward the more the brakes push the pad into the rim. They are also still available new at SJS Cycles for a good price rears only. The pads are poor though, as are all the stock pads of the time. Aztecs and Scott Mathauser pads always made a big difference to any brakes.

The pads that came with Suntour SE's are OEM Suntour branded Kool Stops, the issue is the pad on the rear was a short arse little version that stops incredibly well but wears quickly.

Just not enough material there to last.

If you whack on normal Kool Stops they have about 10mm more length to them making the setup a little more drawn out.

Back