Pre build retro head ponderings... 8 Speed vs 9 Speed?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As I get older I seem to be with reason, a lover and conserver of the past. It worked then, it was built well, and it works now...
But things move on and sometimes there are benefits to this new fangled stuff....
I also really like some of the new products coming out after all a lot of it is designed by my generation, so Finally this year I'm gonna be building a decent rugged AM/trail bike. Single ring set up at mo, (poss dual in future) but with some gear this time. I have some 8 speed gear I can cobble together, I have a feeling this will be best for a rugged bike and worry about future/current availability. Though the new shifters and mechs from shimano and SRAM look good, and that backwards spring action on Shimano mechs could save thumbs getting broken shifting up! :LOL:
Seriously considering a 90's thumbshifter!, on a 2011 frame, with 2007 forks and 2004 gears and wheels!

Any thoughts on 8 speed vs 9 on rugged trail bikes? I was doing some reading about it but the forum i was reading was from 2003! retro or what! :D

If you're building it as a single chainring bike, you might want the extra gear range you can get on a 11-34 (or even an 11-36 29er specific) cassette. AFAIK(shoot me down if I've overlooked some), 8G cassettes don't go over 32, unless you count some of the cheap and nasty efforts for BSOs.

Its a great idea an a clear benfit of more cogs. I noticed yesterday on an old 9 speed cassette I've aquired , 8-32 is a fair spread. I'm using a Middleburn SS chainring, unsure if a thin chain would fit maybe it would.

From what I've read disadvantages of 9 speed is less robust chains and cassettes and need to be fairly clean to work.

I'm riding a 10 speed 11-36 set up with a 32 up front and its brilliant. It works in all weathers and the spread of ratios is perfect. If you want thumbies get a Pauls mount and use a 10 speed bar end shifter. Cool retro look but with brilliant modern shifting.

Si

i used to ride 7, then 8 just by design really (was still quite novice when switched)
now im on nine
not really much between them, my 8 speed stuff lasted ages as did my 7 and my 9 too
although id probably favour nine as i have a 11-25 ratio and 36t ring on there which works well for my commuter
but you can get near on similar ratios for 7's and 8's (just less i suppose so less gearing in between, so harsher transitions), but as i said i had no problem with any of these
when i go to a bigger cassette (like 32t cog etc.) i now find it too easy, so you adapt
my x9 shifter is tender on the thumb, no trouble there but didnt have any problems with the others
my system works well with general maintenance, same as normal/any setup

Usually I'd say there isn't that much in it tbh, but seeing as you're going for a single ring up front then the extra gear and wider range of 9-speed may suit you better.
Having said that, if you did go dual chainring then 8speed would work fine too.
I guess it dpends on your final plan for the bike and what bits of kit you already have or can cobble together.

Back