Freecycle late 70's Viscount

Wow, that's the real deal! Looks like it's sporting most of its original shizzle as well :)

I feel like a Viscount week next week. Made a few modifications:

img6495.jpg

img6496m.jpg

IMG_6138.JPG

Lost the mudguards, nicely weathered old Brooks (sooo comfy) and if you look closely....

img6499h.jpg

Single speed and fixed :cool:

Relacing the wheel was fun. It had a small hub and 27" wheels, so the spokes were ultra long, longer than the bike shop had and longer than any I could see on eBay. I really wanted to give this a crack so I had no choice but to re-use the spokes. It took a bit of fiddling but it's truer running now than it's ever been! This was my first wheel build and I'm guessing it's MUCH easier with new spokes and nipples!

Is that an ITM stem on your Viscount? Looks the same as the one on my Holdsworth but the picture is too small to tell.

PICT0013.jpg

Yes it is. It's one of those stems that you don't want your knackers to hit if you ever ride into anything :D

This bike is currently wearing some new wheels I made up. 700c Velo Orange PBP rims, track hubs and double butted stainless spokes shod in 700x20 tanwall tyres. Rides nice but doesn't look quite right. I think it needs fatter tyres. The 27's have gone on my girlfriend's new Mixte, thread to follow soon :)

Currently in full South London combat mode. Trying the bars down and saddle forwards for a bit of serious purchase on those pedals:

IMG_6690.JPG

Packing a Fenix L2D up front for plenty of light or strobe the whole road out:

IMG_6691.JPG

New rims as mentioned, already trashed, with fixed gear at the back (52/18 ) and the 700x20 tyres:

IMG_6694.JPG

IMG_6695.JPG

I just think they look a bit skinny, so might change them for some 25's at some point, but then looking at the older pictures it looks much better on the 27's. Why do Raleigh insist on using those spazzy blue valve caps?

Jonny69":p3x0c23g said:
Why do Raleigh insist on using those spazzy blue valve caps?

Hee hee, yes I've been bitten on the backside before by that particular wrong habbit of Raleigh's.

Bike looks ace on 700's - I think I like it even more with slightly dinky wheels. It looks - and I know it's a stupid way to describe a bike - fast with the bars down and the saddle up. Lovely work.

Johnny, does you Viscount have a lugged BB shell? I've just happily bought another one which is part lugged but with a fillet brazed BB shell...

Yes it's lugged everywhere, this one. Even the stem looks like it's got lugs cast into it :D

Back