Dunkers big bad build thread

Right, no more bits to be bought I think apart from little bits and bobs like cables.

Have time off next week so I'll start doing this in earnest instead of just randomly buying things.

So far very light aluminium frame, front bounce but the forks have light written on them so that counts as lightweight in my book.

Red stuff in several shades of red from nice to almost pink.

Attempting to go for 1 x 7 gearing with 34 front and a road cassette at the back so hopefully the ability to climb without my legs/lungs having a race to see which collapses first, but still able to get a bit of pace without doing 200 rpm on the pedals.

If nothing else the whole dogs dinner will be interesting (amusing?) if nothing else :shock:

velomaniac":btr5x33r said:
I have started a mad, mad, mad build for Dunkers for no good reason at all.

My CB is ready to ride and should be good for my SS races but I didn't weight weenie it so not really in the spirit of things.

So I am going too swiss cheese a cheapo high tensile steel frame. I have the drill and the bit, I have a drill mount thingy for precision :LOL: work, a Black'n'Decker work Mate table and other bits and bobs plus an Emmelle Californian courtessy of Buzz1024. Current weight 35 Ib plus, target weight sub 30 Ib :LOL:

If I stuff it up or lose the will to carry on then the CB steps into the breach.

crackin mate cannot wait :cool:

velomaniac":aqlvphiz said:
I have started a mad, mad, mad build for Dunkers for no good reason at all.

My CB is ready to ride and should be good for my SS races but I didn't weight weenie it so not really in the spirit of things.

So I am going too swiss cheese a cheapo high tensile steel frame. I have the drill and the bit, I have a drill mount thingy for precision :LOL: work, a Black'n'Decker work Mate table and other bits and bobs plus an Emmelle Californian courtessy of Buzz1024. Current weight 35 Ib plus, target weight sub 30 Ib :LOL:

If I stuff it up or lose the will to carry on then the CB steps into the breach.

I remember Alf Tupper doing something similar.

He won.

Mikee, this question is aimed at you as your an engineering type.
I'm going to drill the three main tubes of the gas pipe special as the frame weighs 8 lb roughly so needs a bit of dieting. Baring in mind I intend to use a 11mm diameter bit in my drill, what sort of spacing between holes would be acceptable without compromising tensile strength to too great an extent. I reckon a plain gauge hightensile tube can loose a reasonable quantity of material for a steady plod around dunkeld so long as I avoid leaping off stuff. Tubing is not oversized, roughly around 30mm exterior diameter.

first up i take no responsability for this whatsoever
comprendo ?

a 10mm diameter hole drilled in a piece of 2.5 mm thick material
will shed 1.25 grams
now i'm not sure what wall thickness that frame will be but it could be
2.5 wall th or less or more
so you will have to drill 363 holes to shed a pound and you will die of boredom in the process
i have seen these emelle frames fold in normal use so ...

30 mm pitch would be fine tho and 10dia drilled alternatley north south/ east west
on a standard bit of tube it wont harm it too much but i'm not sure
what hi-ten or whatever thats made from is

as one old sage put it
" if you want to build a light bike ,start with a light bike "

So what the experts are saying is there is basically no point and its dangerous. Righto so plan B, remove all cable stops/guides and canti hanger just to show willing. Dont drill anything structural but work on reducing component weight via that rare alloy Drillium. Use of plastic/alloy components etc.

SO going for sub 30 Ib SS Emmelle with a basic bright rattle can paint job.

Going to set a budget for newish bits of £30.

Thanks for frame offer Eck but I want to do a silly weight weenie creation and the emmelle cries out to be the subject.

Frame + Fork = 10 lbs
Wheels inclusive of tyres, tubes, liner and sprocket = 10 lbs

Everything else must add up to less than 10 lbs, hmmmmm, need to get creative. :LOL:

nae bother v :D

i'm just gona bring the univega alpina pro , it's the lightest bike i've got and it's light for being mine :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back