Modolo cantilever brakes - springs

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Anyone know if replacement springs can be sourced for these? I was looking to fit some slightly weaker ones, as those that came with the brakes are pretty strong which, coupled with working against the return springs that modern brake levers have (but which I'm sure the levers that these brakes were originally supplied with wouldn't be fitted with), can make braking harder work than it needs to be at times!
Thanks in advance for ideas.

David

Simply bend the existing springs. I've done it with many springs in the past with no ill effects. My problem has more often been the opposite when I wanted to install new calipers with older levers.

Cheers - will give this idea a go when the bike is stripped for a repaint in a few weeks' time.

David

Yep,bend the springs,I did this on the modolo canti's on my Alan cross,makes braking,especially on the hoods,a whole lot easier on the hands.

chipper":2jl8zjb6 said:
Yep,bend the springs,I did this on the modolo canti's on my Alan cross,makes braking,especially on the hoods,a whole lot easier on the hands.

Update: finally got round to having a bash at adjusting the springs this week. Much, much better state of affairs than before, thanks to all for advice.

David

David,

Out of interest ,what pads are you using with your Modolo canti's? I fitted koolstops,the old type,because I had some knocking around.These did seemed to be doing the job ,that is until I got caught in a downpour last week,no brakes at all,a bit scary and unexpected :D

Back