Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

It is good to see there is so much interest in Early Saracens, as bitd, I remember there wasn't.

All the mags liked to feature yank steel and exotics.

For example, just what can one find about early Saracen in the mags from the time, not a lot from what I have found, although I do remember a review on the '93 Saracens in one of the mags bitd, could do with re reading that one. I think the mag that had Mint Sauce in it, as it was always worth getting it for that.

Oh dear I've just bought a fourth. Rufftrax in Black with silver decals and black LX 8 speed components. It LOOKS original and v little used. But then so do I in the dark.

Photos for an ID parade to follow....

Undecided whether to keep the Rufftrax complete or just transfer the geary bits to my single speed, I gave it a quick check for any real problems. Wouldn't be worth a repaint, but TCut showed main tubes fine, rest be OK with a touch-up and only the drive side stay needs re-spray (black is cheap and easy!).

It had an under-sized post in it - opening out the tube slot gave a perfect fit for a 26.2 from the stores! I even had some OK length spokes to replace one missing and one bent in front wheel - and done that.

So I think I'll strip and clean and reassemble. Bottom end of the range I assume - so maybe the 8 speed LX (which looks in vgc) a later addition? And I doubt that the DeepV "aero" rims are original - but braking tracks good as new so will do fine for me.

Rufftrax2.jpg

Thanks Dendy.

Yes, the Protrax SE was the top of the range 'sport' model - one down from the Kili range. It has a full Tange DB CroMo reameset - all tubes, not just main tubes.

It's very light and has a nice ride feel to it.

Cheers,

Chaser.

Well....Rufftrax (previous page) stripped and cleaned - no nasties, nothing seized, most parts v little wear. Found a seat post to fit, big tyres, swopped one set of cantis for better. Rides nice - but shan't be keeping it as is. Not sure whether to use it as a source of spares (24 speed the winter single speed for spring?) or sell.

Even the cheap ones were well made bikes I reckon!

RuffT2.jpg

oldave":1912gfbs said:
Well....Rufftrax (previous page) stripped and cleaned - no nasties, nothing seized, most parts v little wear. Found a seat post to fit, big tyres, swopped one set of cantis for better. Rides nice - but shan't be keeping it as is. Not sure whether to use it as a source of spares (24 speed the winter single speed for spring?) or sell.

Even the cheap ones were well made bikes I reckon!

RuffT2.jpg

They are, Saracen is my area of interest, and I have an eye for detail.

Back