A case for Mulder & Scully. 1998/9 Orange UFO.

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OrangeUFO2010_1231_113800.jpg

OrangeUFO2010_1231_113858.jpg

Always wanted one of these BITD , funds wouldn't stretch so I made do with a Black MsIsle. That though was cruely stolen on Christmas Eve 2000.

Anyhow, been thinking about my MsIsle recently and decided to look for the Bike I dreamed of, and lo and behold it appeared on the Bay almost immediately.

Its in good cosmetic order, and seemed to be pretty much the original spec, bar a few parts. Namely the Thomson post, and odd LX & XT shifters.

Supercross bars
Bonofido Stem
Friction Addiction Grip
Aheadset headset
Manitou Xvert E
Lx M570 Groupset ( one XT shifter & m750 r/mech are additions )
WTB wheelset & Tyres
Shockwave 165 x 38 shock
Angry Orange saddle.

OrangeUFO2010_1231_113718.jpg

OrangeUFO2010_1231_113734.jpg

OrangeUFO2010_1231_113818.jpg

Tyres are OE spec, WTB Velociraptors and could be originals.

All the bearings are a little dry, suggesting lots of cleaning but no real servicing.
Forks need a little top up, though oil is clean, and bushes have some slight play, though a stripdown and rebuild may sort this.
DB Spokes are loose, but rims are good,so after a service/some tlc she should be good to go.

There is not much info on the web about these.
The frames are numbered and rumour says less than 1000 produced...( most likely means they were rubbish and quickly replaced...!!! )

Mine is 0218

OrangeUFO2010_1231_113846.jpg

Was sold by Swinnerton Cycles, incidently where my original MsIsle came from.
The UFOs previous owner bought it from a guy in Plymouth about 3 or so years ago.

Not sure whether to keep her as is, upgrade to M750 or go the whole hog and add Discs and more modern suspension.

I was watching this on ebay, never seen one before and liked the look of it. Iv got the same tyres on my marin quake 5 frs and they work really well.
Nice bike you got there

Nice. I'd change the forks for some bombers if mine I think though.

Is it a URT? Or is bottom bracket on the front triangle and pivot somewhere else?

coomber":1c5pg0a6 said:
Nice. I'd change the forks for some bombers if mine I think though.

Is it a URT? Or is bottom bracket on the front triangle and pivot somewhere else?

Yep URT..much the same as the X2 I believe..though much much stiffer.

I will be beginning the strip down and subsequent rebuild shortly.
A good clean and polish, new pivot bushes, new modern suspension, modern discs. I did source some C2s but have decided aganst them.

I have started to collect the parts, and will not be sticking to a period correct build, but a mix of parts from the orignal era upto present time.

Should hopefully make a ride far more usable, durable and more fun than than in its current ' as was ' state.

Not sure whether I will be able to use longer travel forks or not..may have to experiment a bit.

Atherton`s started on Muddytenses, then moved to Giant and are now Commencal.
The UFO dates back to just before Animal-Orange team days I think.....
UFO came before Mr O and Patriot.

Doesn't say Atherton...but Swinnerton, the name of the supplying bike shop.

You are correct regarding the time-line.

K

All I could see was the "erton".

Are you still looking for a MrXC? I'm not selling - but have recently bought one - quite a fun bike.

Carge":ipgkvw0l said:
All I could see was the "erton".

Are you still looking for a MrXC? I'm not selling - but have recently bought one - quite a fun bike.

Not sure TBH...have even put this up as a trade because the Univega I recently purchased has my fickle eye at the moment.

I did have a Mr XC, but again fickleness made me sell it..I suspect that I want something with a little more travel TBH.

K

Back