Anodising....

caustic soda strong enough to remove anodising will take the skin off your hand, so i'd say the decals will probably not last long

Hi all,

now this suggestion doesn't sound quite such fun. Does anyone have a safer way to remove??? So many people talk about their's wearing off, so there must be a reasonably safe way of removing it on purpose???

Cheers
Tim

I have heard oven cleaner does the trick, mr muscle foam one supposed to be good. Not tried that yet but tried it with one of the mellower lemon based ones and it did remove most of the anodizing off of my black cane creek headset. Apparently the foam one though you one supposed to leave 20 minutes though. My advice would be to give it a go with sometihn that ur not that bothered about, like I did with my battered old cane creek headset and see how it goes

Caustic Soda is your answer, but be careful, it's quick to eat the allumium and stinks to high heaven.

B3":17iywsm7 said:
stinks to high heaven.

It'll do to the same to your eyes, nose, throat and lungs as it does to your anodising. If you must use it don't go too concentrated (i'd stick with 20%), wear washing up gloves and do it either outside or in an airy room with all the windows open.

Spoke to a guy called Mervin at Mansfield Anodisers yesterday... minimum order of £20 per colour although this doesn't include pollishing.

I asked him about a set of bar ends (Stubbie Pros), Cranks (Topline SLS), Brake levers (987s) and a few other bits.

I wanted two colours and he quoted me circa £50 but caveated that the finish is largely dependent on the material - stuff thats already been anodised is generally OK, and billet machined works better than cast. The polishing can be the expensive bit, depending on the complexity of the part involved.

Basically he said about £50 and to send him the parts. He'd then assess each one and call with an exact price before doing any work or incurring any charge...

As far as what consitutes the £20 minumum order, he couldn't define. I just listed the parts I wanted done and he quoted.

Hope this info is useful.

A product called Trukleen pulls anodising off quite well; we used it at Pace, cant remember who the manufacturer was now. It was a leave it soaking type arrangement; cleaned up the ally to a shiny finish too!.... There were some warnings on the container mind :LOL:

Back