Lights.

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend me some decent bright lights please?

After the 50 quid ish mark.

Lights primarily for commuting during the advancingly dark evenings, but also for the possible very occasional night ride.

Would prefer twin handlebar mounted jobbies for the nostalgia of the old night-sun 40watt team issues I used to hanker after bitd...!

Any help appreciated, and preferably available from an online store so I can get them sorted this week...!

Also do they still make the old Spesh red dots or whatever they were called for the rear?

Again recommendations for a simple rear light or two would be nice.

Cheers everyone, hope we're all having a good day...!

Wiggle.co.uk
Just brought a BLT front LED light......in the sale....down from £50 to £29.99! :D
Tried it last night for the first time, brilliant :cool:

Just bought the BLT 9ine, with a five pound off wiggle voucher 24.99 :) equivalent to 9w halogen. good enough for me.

I guess 2 of them would be really good at £50 they also do a 21w version at about £60 but you need to buy lithium rechargables for it.

Steve H - how are you finding the 530? as I like the look of it but some people are complaining the lift is way way shorter than the 90advertised by cateye and that the mounting breaks?

just found the BLT 9ine on bike plus for 19.50 plus £3.50 postage

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/

trawled for reviews, but they seem to be comparing it with much more expensive lights so it fairs less well. - no flash mode and relatively short battery life [17 hours] some also said it was not as bright as the claimed 9watt halogen, however for £25 I'll be trying it out.

Just bought another set from Argos for nippers bike. Twin 8x LED lights with rechargeable battery. Lasts forever and can see well enough off road. All for £40. :cool:

For £40ish: 2x 4000mah nimh battery packs (eBay etc), 1x MR16 outdoor/garden 12v light. Li'l bit of time with a soldering iron etc & a bar clamp from any old sets of lights you have lying around... You'll need a charger too, but it's a cheap way to some very effective lights!

14.4v over-volted halogen lamps give out $hit loads (technical term!) more light at the expense of reduced life - ie 100 hours rather than 1000 or something. Either way, the lamps themselves cost pence so who cares?!

35w (at 12v - more at 14.4!) lamp burns for about 1.5 hours & is BRIGHT!
50w lasts less time & is unnecessarily bright.
20w burns for 2.5ish hours, & is significantly brighter than a 'normal' 20w lamp!

Obviously bigger batteries'd last longer, but the 35w lasts more than long enough for an average night ride for me...
:cool:

Go a couple of smart rechargeable sets never used hanging around and a shit load of 7LED Rears. Will post up l8r

Attachments

• LAM203LA.jpg
    LAM203LA.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 817
  • LAM307R.jpg
    LAM307R.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 817
Back