Project No.8.5: alpinestars cro-mega LX ‘Wildthing’ FINISHED

sinnett177":2etk3doe said:
The alpine kross had 700c wheels and was available to the public, infact Hilts owns one and another appeared on ebay earlier in the year.
Interesting, didn't think there would have been many made as cross bikes weren't a s popular as now when almost every brand has at least one in their line up.

More Paint!!

Been busy with the paint once more these past few days. I've managed to get two more colours applied, grey and blue. I've purposely kept the areas where the decals will sit fairly plain, this should help the decals stand out.

2011_0104astars0006.jpg

With the grey applied the pattern really takes shape.

2011_0105astars0010.jpg

With the blue applied the depth increases.

Next task is to apply the final black detailing, it will then be rubbed back with 800 grade paper, decalled and lacquer.

Tim Davies is very kindly posting copies of the '92 decals over, once they arrive I'll get them straight over to Gil. Although the '92 decals match the paintwork of the 'Wildthing' i'm thinking greyscale might be a great way forward.

Anyway heres a few more shots:

'
2011_0105astars0018.jpg

2011_0105astars0012.jpg

2011_0105astars0014.jpg

2011_0105astars0016.jpg

Yeah sure that thing started out with 500LX, but let me tell you... That is no midrange crap bike and this thread does not suck! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Always a pleasure to read your build threads Mark.
A word of caution on the paint plans though- if you flat with 800 prior to laquer you will just remove all those cool splatters. You have already keyed the powder, so the correct method would be to thoroughly degrease and give it a few light coats of laquer wet on wet to seal it all and then flat it down. 800 is too coarse too- use 1200 to get a better finish. Then you can give it a few more coats of laquer to get the shine you want. Its probably easier to talk you through it so give me a ring if you need to.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Si

That's an amazing job you've done with the paint! :shock:
Great story and attention to detail - inspiring stuff.

Surely a future BOTM! ;)

As ever a pleasure to read you build threads. Probably the only ones on RB I read from start to finish. Dr S's advice re not flatting back until a couple of coats of lacquer is sound.

beepbeep":27dmlfa9 said:
That's an amazing job you've done with the paint! :shock:
Great story and attention to detail - inspiring stuff.

Surely a future BOTM! ;)

Yes, couldn't agree more - partly the reason I'm unable to leave mine 'upgraded-original' as planned. Every time I look at mine I think do I really want to do this? Hell yes! But then again...

I may have to acquire another frame, I dunno? Any offers? :oops:

Back