Not-so-retro freerange organic fixie - now finished.

Student Bob

Old School Hero
Well, I guess it’s neo-retro!! I figured you kids might fancy a look at this. It’s called the Dylan, and it’s made by Organic Bikes, they say the lugs are ‘recycled alloy’ I say someone finally found a good use for Cannondales. The wood is laminated bamboo, so you know, somewhere, there’s a hungry panda. The bad news tho, is that it weighs nearly 5lbs!!

It’s currently sat on my lovely wooden rims with Royce track hubs and the rest of the build will be shiny Campag and white bits.

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

Look out for the pandas!

That looks interesting, I wonder how stiff it will ride, and is there any expansion in different climatic conditions like there is with guitars & wood framed pianos...

Super :cool: I've saw wooden bars and wooden mudgaurds which would look dandy!

I wood imagine it is going to be pretty good ride,something akin to good steel, I know of at least one firm that use hemp to give spring to their carbon fibre frames, funny stuff bamboo they use it for scaffolding and all sorts in China and the far east :shock: Also despite my earlier very bad pun, bamboo is a grass rather than wood so think more thatched roof than table leg :LOL: Here endeth the lesson :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was reading about those when they came out, I'm very interested to see how you find it. I was disappointed by the weight, especially considering that some bamboo frames are as light as aluminium, but then again they are very affordable frames. The affordability is a good thing in ecological/environmental terms as it makes them a more feasible replacement for conventional frames.

I hope you're using recycled parts and biodegradable oil too!

The alloy "lugs" don't look cannondale to me , they either weld or sand their welds much smoother as well as fatter crimped chainstays and def no gusset under the ht/dt intersection. I believe this type of construction starts with an entire alloy frame and cut out the sections that will be replced with the second type of tube which needs an overlap for bonding purposes.

Back