1994 Empella Team MTB - updated 2/2/2013 - p2

stumpjumper1990

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just arrived today! Bought it for a good price of marktplaats, because I just liked the look of it and because it's a rare early Empella MTB (IMHO).
Don't know if you guys know about Empella, but it's a Dutch bike builder who is famous for it's cyclecross bikes. http://www.empella.nl

The frame was with a M900 front mech, so I guess it's from 1992-1995. I allready send these pics to Empella. Perhaps they can determine the frame, because it doesn't have a framenumber? Perhaps an early team-bike?

If you have any information about it; let me know. I will try to build it like it was in those early days!

Cheers,
Bart

Most recent picture 2/2/2013:
2013-02-02%252009.53.17.jpg

GroteFoto-7GKPUBI7.jpg

GroteFoto-AAU6XYAX.jpg

GroteFoto-QMUCBHSM.jpg

GroteFoto-VKVHJTR8.jpg

:cool: I'd love to hear the story behind the seat tube!

nice frame - unique seatpost :cool:

do you have an idea what tubeset is used ?

could it be that theres a dutch rider named "Gommers" and that was his team bike :roll:

kaiser":2489b12t said:
:cool: I'd love to hear the story behind the seat tube!

It's almost like it's made specifically for someone to their choice of stepover.

Bonkers though.

Here is a whole article that might help a bit: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/eas ... on-empella

And here a little piece of it:

The team's bicycle sponsor, Empella, had the company's founder, Ad van Empel, on hand for the launch. Van Empel started the line of Empella bikes 25 years ago, and while he doesn't ride himself, he always enjoyed watching bike races and noticed that he could help racers become faster by improving positioning, material and other things he had an eye for.

With that in mind, the company was born, but Van Empel chose the more Italian sounding Empella name rather than his own to grace the frames. The breakthrough for Empella came in the mid-90's. "In 1994 we had our first World champion with Dutch junior Gretenius Gommers. Then others wanted to ride Empella bikes and we started a team with two professionals in 1995." Initially cyclo-cross was facing stiff competition from the up-and-coming sport of mountain biking, which was somewhat puzzling to van Empel. He chuckled that "we don't really have mountains here. It's all flat." Around 2000, things turned around again and cyclo-cross became as popular as ever.

Yeah, I know about this article and found out about Gretenius Gommers. But before I jump to any conclusions I'll wait untill I hear something from Empella!

rienster":732cbza5 said:
Here is a whole article that might help a bit: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/eas ... on-empella

And here a little piece of it:

The team's bicycle sponsor, Empella, had the company's founder, Ad van Empel, on hand for the launch. Van Empel started the line of Empella bikes 25 years ago, and while he doesn't ride himself, he always enjoyed watching bike races and noticed that he could help racers become faster by improving positioning, material and other things he had an eye for.

With that in mind, the company was born, but Van Empel chose the more Italian sounding Empella name rather than his own to grace the frames. The breakthrough for Empella came in the mid-90's. "In 1994 we had our first World champion with Dutch junior Gretenius Gommers. Then others wanted to ride Empella bikes and we started a team with two professionals in 1995." Initially cyclo-cross was facing stiff competition from the up-and-coming sport of mountain biking, which was somewhat puzzling to van Empel. He chuckled that "we don't really have mountains here. It's all flat." Around 2000, things turned around again and cyclo-cross became as popular as ever.

New pics and some updates! No news from Empella!

Put an Judy SL with AC crown, ControlTech stem and ITM bar on!
Also had some wheels with Panaracer Magic tires... Not sure if these suit it or I have to take the Porcs.

I need a black seatpost 30,0mm. I think it looks better.

GroteFoto-3SSZEOHH.jpg

GroteFoto-3QG3ZGHQ.jpg

GroteFoto-RHCW7QHT.jpg

i really wasn't expecting it to look as good as that as i scrolled down to your last post.

fantastic job so far :D

Back