the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":g1c3faf9 said:
P1030846.jpg

This is the most ridiculous bike i may have ever seen.

OK. Getting convinced here. BUT. All the elegant, high rise, gooseneck or whatever stem seem to be in a quill flava............. anyone have a reccomendation for us ahead types?? All look a bit brutish, not very elegant. I know this charge could be levelled against all ahead stems, but, there must be one out there............ :?

88 Stumpjumper Comp 'Snow Drop'

This is my 'Snow Drop', I'm not sure how cool it is, but it sure is cold....

IMG_7940.jpg
IMG_7938.jpg

IMG_7936.jpg
IMG_7941.jpg

I had pulled the XT parts off this '88 Comp for my Fat, and the frame was just laying around, so I figured I might as well combine my winter build with my drop bar build. Parts are a total mishmash, whatever I had in the bin that was mechanically sound but not too pretty, and it finally gave the pink bottle cage I've had laying around for years a fine home. I was really happy to find some NOS tape that was a perfect match.

Bars are Origin 8 Gary's-I'd go with something different next time, there is nothing wrong with these but for winter the bend is a bit tight when I'm wearing thick gloves. I'm not sold on the barcons either, it's slippery out there and I use a lot of steering angle, putting the shifters close to my knees. A stem with more reach would probably solve this, but i don't want to be out over the front tire too much for traction purposes, so I might try a setback seatpost instead.

I pulled the Weinmann levers from a LBS bin, I like how small they are and they pull the canti's with no issues. I managed to stuff a 2.25 on the back with no rub, and the front is a 2.50 with miles of room. I think I'll go with larger gears in the back, pushing the big tires through snow is more work than I realized and I'm far from being in shape!

Back