Single speed 29r questions

AndyPA

Old School Hero
Can anybody give me some pointers on 29rs , I want to build myself one from a steel .Should I just use standard size wheels ?.A guy riding at the chase told me not to use use the eccentric bracket shell as they are unreliable
Any other pointers and wish list if you was having a custom frame built (cable routings,tubing,geometry,drop outs,disc mounts etc) .Could also do with a cad file to suit a 30" leg rider if anybody has one
Cheers Andy

EBB's get some bad press but I think they have sorted themselves out. For everything else mtbr 29er forum. Maybe a touch evangelical but they do know what they're talking about. Also have a look at the twentynineinches blog.

What do you mean standard size wheels though?

wow, was just looking at the link in your sig AndyPA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_perks/5258219481/

Did you make these yourself?? They look amazing! Will be an interesting frame when its done

I think your unlikely to find anyone with a CAD file for a suitable size bike, but I reckon you'd be best trying out some 29ers and copying the angles/lengths of one you like. I gather that on-one 29er frames are pretty good but I haven't ridden one. Some manufacturers also list the frame dimensions in their catalogues...

And using standard size wheels....??? Surely if you want to build a 29er you will need 29er wheels. Or have I misunderstood your post

Pfennig":2bmxmm7k said:
And using standard size wheels....??? Surely if you want to build a 29er you will need 29er wheels. Or have I misunderstood your post
no I just like confusing people :) ,I meant I definitely want single speed but not sure if its a 29r or standard,it will be mainly for riding over the chase
I rode a guys 29r and it felt smooth but he really was against the EBB
.thanks for your replies ill keep you posted
Ta Andy

I'm currently having one custom built for me and decided against EBB, going for Paragon sliding dropouts instead - this gave me the option of disc/non-disc and geared/non-geared (having a pair of dropouts for each option) without redundant features. I'm going for a very clean look with no excessive guides etc. Internal cable routing where poss. No bottle mounts, no rack mounts. Fillet brazed :cool:

AndyPA":379irgcs said:
I meant I definitely want single speed but not sure if its a 29r or standard, it will be mainly for riding over the chase
I rode a guys 29r and it felt smooth but he really was against the EBB

Then build a 69er, yessir, and have the best of both worlds ;)
I'm using a Phil Wood EBB and havn't had a single problem with it.

You could do worse than look at the Hummingbird geometry for a great handling bike ..... ;)

orange71":3urcrlnr said:
I'm currently having one custom built for me and decided against EBB, going for Paragon sliding dropouts instead - this gave me the option of disc/non-disc and geared/non-geared (having a pair of dropouts for each option) without redundant features. I'm going for a very clean look with no excessive guides etc. Internal cable routing where poss. No bottle mounts, no rack mounts. Fillet brazed :cool:
This sounds exactly what I have in my mind,simple and clean
Any details you can show me of the cable routing and drop outs please ,I think Surly do a sliding drop out.What tubing you going for ?

Back