Valuation advice

Steve H

Dirt Disciple
I hope you guys don't mind me asking this, but I have no idea what these bikes may be worth, or even if their is much of a market for them these days. I realise the Klein may be sought after, but it isn't original.

I don't have any images at the minute, but i'll get some taken to help tomorrow.

bike 1: Trek 820 Antelope (circa '92?) in red, completely original even down to the tyres and cables. A few scratches and some touch up paint has been used, poorly. Shimano 200 GS gubbins.

bike 2: Marin Palisades Trail (circa '95?) in light grey with metallic light blue features. Original except the rear canti's have been replaced at some point with Shimano bog standard jobbies. The frame has a dent under the lower tube and the rear wheel has three spokes missing. Scratches are quite prominnt on this frame. STX groupset, 7 speed gripshifters.

bike 3: 98 Klein Mantra Comp in yellow. 2007 LX groupset with Hone crankset, 2006 HS33 rim brakes, Crossmax UST wheelset, Pace RC36 forks, Fox vanilla rear shock & spare Risse racing rear air shock (needs service), Hope headset, Easton stem & seatpost, XLite Xcountry handlebar, almost new UST Nobby Nics.

I'll take some pics in the light tomorrow if i'm home from work in time.

Thanks

Bike 1 : not a lot, less than £50

Bike 2 : between £50 and £100 .

Bike 3 : not sure on this one , but my guess would be £350 to £500 .

The values Chris gives are fair.

Steve H":1ch0pfx7 said:
I hope you guys don't mind me asking this, but I have no idea what these bikes may be worth, or even if their is much of a market for them these days.
Thanks

This is not the first, or last time we will be used as an online antiques roadshow. Question is is your face that ususal one that folk have where they realise that they won't be able to retire on the contents of their garages.

Stick Legs":1cn1vto8 said:

This is not the first, or last time we will be used as an online antiques roadshow. Question is is your face that ususal one that folk have where they realise that they won't be able to retire on the contents of their garages.

No, not at all, and I didn't really want to come across as that sort of person tbh, perhaps I should have worded it better. Despite not posting a great deal, or even being registered for long I have been a lurker for quite a while.

I didn't expect the Trek to be worth anything. I'm about to breath some life back into the Marin with a new groupset and some suspension forks so the Mrs can have a nicer bike to ride to work, and thought before I do I ought to see how much demand there is for it, and what it's worth as is. Not enough it would seem so it'll get the make over I have planned for it.

As for the Klein, I love it. I bought it 2 years ago and have been using it on a regular basis ever since, i've spent quite a bit of money on maintenance and everything has been replaced, even the pivot bearing. A few months ago I bought a new Commencal on a whim, which i'm loving, and have been torn whether to keep the Klein as I won't really be riding it anymore.
If I could get nearer to the top of that valuation, i'd let it go, otherwise i'll keep it to look at and as a spare.

Steve H":ebxifwr0 said:
Stick Legs":ebxifwr0 said:

No, not at all, and I didn't really want to come across as that sort of person tbh, perhaps I should have worded it better. Despite not posting a great deal, or even being registered for long I have been a lurker for quite a while.

I didn't expect the Trek to be worth anything. I'm about to breath some life back into the Marin with a new groupset and some suspension forks so the Mrs can have a nicer bike to ride to work, and thought before I do I ought to see how much demand there is for it, and what it's worth as is. Not enough it would seem so it'll get the make over I have planned for it.

As for the Klein, I love it. I bought it 2 years ago and have been using it on a regular basis ever since, i've spent quite a bit of money on maintenance and everything has been replaced, even the pivot bearing. A few months ago I bought a new Commencal on a whim, which i'm loving, and have been torn whether to keep the Klein as I won't really be riding it anymore.
If I could get nearer to the top of that valuation, i'd let it go, otherwise i'll keep it to look at and as a spare.

:cool: That's cool, we do get a few here who join, then check out the value of stuff and sell it on the bay. Kind of pushing up the price of retrobiking for all.

Commencal's are nice but keep the Klein. You won't regret it!

Stick Legs":35r7qgwh said:
Commencal's are nice but keep the Klein. You won't regret it!

I've actually got two, this is the better specced of them both though. I keep the other for my dad to ride as and when he chooses.

Plus you may notice that their are a lot here are just looking for parts. So you may find it 1. easier to sell if you were willing sell in parts
2. may be make more money from them doing it that way.
But it will mean more work for you as it will involve P&P and taking apart.
Just a suggestion. :)

Back