Dunkers big bad build thread

Oh aye, could easy save a bit there but this bike is bottom of the Rumble stable food-chain and I've vowed not to spend any money on it. The plan is to upgrade it only with trickle down from other bikes, and with projects languishing unfinished it might be a while before there's any of that!

clockworkgazz":2qinexia said:
Any idea if the non- kevlar mythos xc 1.95 tires will be significantly heavier than the bikeman ones (amberwall kevlar ones), can't be arsed changing them but will if you think they are lighter....
Weight weenies have the 1.95s ranging from 480g to 530g.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... e=mtbtyres

Currently filing out the slots on my V brakes to take the wider bolt on the CNC brake pads. Annoying, but more weight saved :shock:

Rumble - For £40 you can't really complain. And the kellogs reflector must stay.

Rumble the ratio of 22lb to £40 might be hard to beat even with the prettyness and coolness multipliers factored in.

I'll be needing costs for all the builds on the day, honest estimates are fine. not so Special prize for the star part, i.e. I got this nos ultralight xtr mech for £2.50 from the tesco parts bin and drilled it myself to save more weight.

If any part of the bike breaks during the ride a deduction will be made based on severness of failure, if the bike becomes unridable it will mocked limitlessly and be given a huge deduction.

*panniers will not be included in the failure stakes

Popped the V's on, 320g for the pair including pads. Saved 72g over the original pads thanks to those KCNC pad holders - Cost = 44p per gram saved though :?

Looks like I've gone over £200 budget-wise... double :?

96 GT zaskar frame , a bit bashed around but straight 1809g
GT 3d fork from a 93 karakoram 828 g
truvative XR stem 124g (tuned)
fsa orbit headset 98g
d/b bmx levers 52 g ea (tuned)
sun line carbon bars 144g (trimmed)
xposure grips 65g
syncros hub/rim front 772g
pulstar hub/fir m122 rear 1202g
kenda karma tyres 424g
tubes no name 178/201 g (to be replaced maybe)
un52 b/b 289 g to be replaced with a real crankcase b/b assy
acera crank, spider to take 74 pcd rings 24 tooth ring and bolts 442g
sram 971 chain ,not weighed but 250 or so grams
hope wheel q/r's 52/64 g
SLR saddle , no cover and a bit of trimming ti rails carbon hull 101g

bits i made
seat post an old ritchey post with a use style clamp added 181g but can still loose about 50 mm in length
canti brakes in a machine tech style 51g each x4 plus pads
shimano cartridge pads as yet un modified 16g ea
small canti cable hanger for the front 12g
seat clamp 18 g
tensioner 19g
most fasteners have been replaced with stainless steel items
these have been turned and drilled to reduce the individual weights by
up to 60% making them only slightly heavier than ti ones ,without
the hassle associated with ti bolts
at the top i said the final spec , but since writing this i realise there is
a bit to do yet
lighter tubes will yeild another 200 ish grams near half a pound
shorten the seat post and i see where i can remove more from the
seat clamp assy ,and the post clamp can loose a bit more
and so it goes

The Ken":ftnm9c9i said:
I'll be needing costs for all the builds on the day, honest estimates are fine. not so Special prize for the star part, i.e. I got this nos ultralight xtr mech for £2.50 from the tesco parts bin and drilled it myself to save more weight.

If any part of the bike breaks during the ride a deduction will be made based on severness of failure, if the bike becomes unridable it will mocked limitlessly and be given a huge deduction.

*panniers will not be included in the failure stakes

why would you need all this info? I thought it was going to be a secret vote as per last years dunkers event- which rado won IIRC.

I've got 3 prizes for the top 3 vote winners.

Think the only rule about the build, was there was no rules. Whatever bike you thinks has a great combo of weight, style, effort and has a certain"je nai se qua " should get your vote (or your own ha ha).

I for one would struggle with giving a total costing as a good bit of my stuff was on traded basis.

Whose actually part of the WW comp now as I'm definitely not a contender, all I'll be is a rider of a heavily patina'd PINK lead lined bike :LOL:

WW is :-

Mikee
Kaiser
ZigZag
ClockworkGaz
Rumble
Tazio
Rado

Anyone else ?

it's not a competition velo its a state of mind, so if all you have done is changed your pedals, your in the mix and as said before, it's up to you to interpret what you want to vote for- I like pink so you have piqued my interest you saucy dog

If TK's talking about listing specifications and points deducted then it IS a competition :roll:

I've not changed any pedals as I've never built the Claud Butler before and anything I fit is based on making the bike work not how little its mass causes a dent in the planet :LOL:

Weight might be somewhere in the 20-30 lb zone so not light really :oops:

I just want to be amazed at how light you can make a bike plus laugh when something snaps (provided of course that only the riders pride is hurt) !

velomaniac":lj7xy9gi said:
Whose actually part of the WW comp now as I'm definitely not a contender, all I'll be is a rider of a heavily patina'd PINK lead lined bike :LOL:

WW is :-

Mikee
Kaiser
ZigZag
ClockworkGaz
Rumble

Anyone else ?

I think it's too much effort for me, my bike might end up light from the frame being light and a lack of parts on it but if it ends up light it's more by accident than design.

Though depending how I get on timewise I might do a bit of tweaking.

Back