Claud Butler 'Pagan' Age Unknown

ChrisG

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This came to be in my Dads ownership recently because my Sister was after an old loop framed bike to ride through the parks in London :roll:

I spotted the loop fame BSA in a local sale and the Claud Butler was in the same lot, a bid was made and ended up with two bikes for a very nice figure. Lets just say it was under £30.

It has Reynolds 501 all terrain tubing and has a full Exage 300 LX groupset and actually quite nice!

Attachments

• Image0135.jpg
    Image0135.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4,885
  • Image0136.jpg
    Image0136.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4,884
1990 or 1991

heres mine from a while ago:

claud_butler_pagan_105.jpg

ChrisG":h1q5wrv5 said:
This came to be in my Dads ownership recently because my Sister was after an old loop framed bike to ride through the parks in London :roll:

I spotted the loop fame BSA in a local sale and the Claud Butler was in the same lot, a bid was made and ended up with two bikes for a very nice figure. Lets just say it was under £30.

It has Reynolds 501 all terrain tubing and has a full Exage 300 LX groupset and actually quite nice!

dont let pete_mcc see it though

legrandefromage":2me5ucpg said:

He won't, it's not one for the connoisseur. :roll: ;)

A good solid buy for the money IMO, and better than most sub £200 new bikes after a bit of TLC.

Cool. I've a soft spot for these. As lgf says, its around 1990

gerryattrick":wyd81zq3 said:
legrandefromage":wyd81zq3 said:

He won't, it's not one for the connoisseur. :roll: ;)

A good solid buy for the money IMO, and better than most sub £200 new bikes after a bit of TLC.

these were at least £350+, my Spectre was £499 retail

Cool!

Nice score!

I'm liking the shell suit colour scheme!

Pink 'n' purple

You have a lugged Reynolds 501 frame, cool

You have a nice 300LX groupset - looks like Biopace too?

Helluva deal, just looks like it needs a general tidy up

There's no real comaprison to modern kit in terms of quality/features things are just too different to adequately equate

As LGF says this wasn't an el cheapo

what you've got there is a very solid retro bike... Very retro!

...pretty sure it is a 1990. I bought a Spirit that year (in Pearlescent Aquamarine) and the following year my sister bought a Pagan which had a black crank (like legrandfromages) rather than the silver crank of yours - also the matched cable outers give it away.

I loved mine (with full 400LX gruppo and Flexstem) until someone nicked it!

Ade

Hi Chris,

What a great find! As said, a bit of tidying and you've a decent bike to attack the Quantocks with.

My cousin had one of these - his was blinged up with lots of matching purple anno :cool:

Nice bike.

Back