Absolute Bikes Museum, Salida, Colorado USA

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
Short story for y'all-

This weekend was veloswap in Denver, Colorado. For a bike geek as serious as myself, this was six-hour drive worth it.

veloswap3.jpg

Truthfully I was pretty disappointed with the retro turnout. A couple guys from MTBR had some good stuff ($300 slingshot), but overall there was little to be found. The good news for me was I sold the FRO to Shawn, owner of the Absolute Bikes museum in Salida, Colorado. On my way home, he invited me to check it out. He had some pretty serious players.

Yo and SAB.

DSCN1269.jpg

84 FAT

DSCN1270.jpg

Trimble with IRD fork (first time I've ever seen one in person)

DSCN1273.jpg

Glow in the dark Sling.

DSCN1274.jpg

Jeff Spencer's Yeti

DSCN1275.jpg

And last, but not least, the Cunningham & American Breezer. Whoa.

DSCN1272.jpg

Enjoy.

Absolute Bikes is my favourite (bike) shop in the Yew Essay. Good, friendly people, a willingness to help, and lots of knowledge and a surprising variety of stock.

Add to that, one of the staff members is responsible for publishing what (to me) is quite simply the best guide to a trail I've ever seen - the Monarch Crest trail guide, with maps of all the options, elevation profiles, AND photographs of every junction on the route. It's brilliant. I seem to spend a couple of hours and at least a hundred dollars every time I go there.

Plus, the best route there from Denver takes you through South Park - yes, that South Park :D .

:shock: Oh My God!! Jeff Spencer's ride, thats Retro heaven! So :cool:

Thanks for pics mate ;)

I've got to wait till i get home to see the Trimble picture (and the other) as my pc Windows 98 wont dispaly any pictures on this site :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back in 1970, when I spent the summer in Boulder, I stayed for a time in Salida. It was a six or seven mile uphill ride out of Boulder, and the last couple of miles off Arapahoe Canyon were dirt.

That daily ride put me in pretty good shape. I imagine the road into "town" (a dozen or so homes in 1970, some in seriously sad condition) has been paved since then.

Repack Rider":pgqsf1uk said:
Back in 1970, when I spent the summer in Boulder, I stayed for a time in Salida. It was a six or seven mile uphill ride out of Boulder, and the last couple of miles off Arapahoe Canyon were dirt.

That daily ride put me in pretty good shape. I imagine the road into "town" (a dozen or so homes in 1970, some in seriously sad condition) has been paved since then.

Boulder to Salida would be a long way CK... like 150+ miles ?

Back