Kona Hahanna 1993 - Build for my Son

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just picked up tonight after winning at the weekend.

Seems in good overall condition with minimal paint damage and just a liberal coating of dust from storage. Been treated t some nice choice upgrades and generally looked after.
Big plans for it though with a stripdown and clean and maybe even a fresh powdercoat on the cards.
Mavic wheels, Maguras and P2's will be going to fund a conversion to suspension and will be replaced with a Full STX-RC build.

Slow build this one as it's for my boy's 9th in June.

As it stand it has:

Frame: 14" Kona Cro-mo DB

Fork: P2 Sport

Headset: YST
Stem: Kona Velocty 1"
Handlebar: Kona
Grips: Syncros
Barends: None

Brakes: Magura HS33 EVO2
Brake Pads: Magura

Shifters: 200GS Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Altus
Rear Derailleur: Altus
Cranks: Altus
Crank Bolts:
Pedals: Dented!

Rims: Mavic Crossmax
Hubs: Mavic Crossmax
Tyres: Rubbish

Saddle: Scott
Seatpost: Amoeba Ti
Seatpost Binder:Kona

Weight: unknown

Pics:

DSC04070.jpg

DSC04069.jpg

DSC04071.jpg

DSC04072.jpg

Carl.

It's now totally stripped. Wheels are gone and a set of Marzocchi Z3's have arrived, along with a NOS Deore LX front mech. A Deore LX rear has been ordered so parts are coming together.
Need to sell the P2's and Velocity plus the Maguras still as money is getting low, but I have time.

The frame though is in good condition and the paint has held up chip wise, but the red has sun bleached to orange which is a real shame.
So it's going to get a fresh powdercoat probably in Red but I'll ask what colour he wants. Will get some decals as well, probably Fire Mountain as it share the same frame and the STX/LX components will justify the decals.
While i'm at it i'll get a stop fitted for V-brakes.

Still need to get:

Stem (a 1" short ahead is going to be difficult)
Bars
Chainset (Lx or STX)
Bottom Bracket (UN54 will be default choice)
Shifters (STX)
Chain.

Parts list is looking like:

Frame: 14" Kona Cro-mo DB

Fork: Marzocchi Z3 80mm

Headset: CaneCreek Alloy
Stem: Controltech 1"
Handlebar: Black Alloy
Grips: Syncros
Barends: None

Brakes: STX-RC V's
Brake Levers: STX-RC
Brake Pads: Avid

Shifters: STX-RC Rapidefire Plus
Front Derailleur: Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX
Cranks: STX-RC
Pedals: Outland Custom Flats

Rims: Campagnolo Zark
Hubs: STX-RC
Tyres: Panaracer FireXC 1.8

Saddle: SDG Ti Railed
Seatpost: Brand X Alloy (to be cut down)
Seatpost Binder:Kona

Still a couple of bit's to source and a descision as to whether to re-paint or leave alone, but I have a few months now, well 6 to be precise so no rush.

Carl.

Been a slow burner and time for a bit of an update. The frame has been hanging in the garage waiting to be stripped and over the past few weekends it has been Nitromors'd and I have brazed on a new cable stop for the V's, it's now ready to go off for powder coating (he does actually want Red) and all parts have arrived. Here's a couple of pic of the frame and new stop.

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

Hopefully find a decent local powder coater this week and get it away and then were just waiting for gil_m to get back from hols for some decals.

i_believe_in_fixes and devron683 have been great with the brazing advice but all I can say is that a decent gas torch is vital along with gas choice or the brazing wont go right.

Carl.[/url]

Nope christmas now, we looked at his size and thought that it was a little too big for him on his 9th and 6 months has made a difference and he has had a growth spurt inbetween. I have all the bits anyway so once painting is done the assembly will only take a few hours.

Carl.

Frame returned from powder coaters in his choice of colour, Red:

IMG_20111104_142409.jpg

IMG_20111104_142414.jpg

Parts ready:

IMG_20111104_152800.jpg

IMG_20111104_152810.jpg

Put together, still need decals when gil get back from hols and tyres will be changed for 1.8's as the 2.1's are too wide:

IMG_20111109_211930.jpg

IMG_20111109_212002.jpg

Decent picture will hope fully be coming if I can keep it hidden when the decal arrive :D

Carl.

Back