Project No.8.5: alpinestars cro-mega LX ‘Wildthing’ FINISHED

dendy":1sjq1pba said:
excellent read! This is looking to be a really nice classy build :cool:

I'll second that - particularly as I have only just got mine to the 'upgraded-original-looking-cheap-hack' stage, about to post it on here then changed my mind when I realised I have an XT groupset going spare and the Manitous I was going to hang on my Explosif would look better on this (actually I bought a 1 1/4" Chris King headset that won't fit the Kona - dunno WHAT I was doing that night!! :oops: ), so I shall be bugging gil for some more decals myself...

Anyway - really looking forward to following this one...

We_are_Stevo":18zcvfz0 said:
dendy":18zcvfz0 said:
excellent read! This is looking to be a really nice classy build :cool:

I'll second that - particularly as I have only just got mine to the 'upgraded-original-looking-cheap-hack' stage, about to post it on here then changed my mind when I realised I have an XT groupset going spare and the Manitous I was going to hang on my Explosif would look better on this (actually I bought a 1 1/4" Chris King headset that won't fit the Kona - dunno WHAT I was doing that night!! :oops: ), so I shall be bugging gil for some more decals myself...

Anyway - really looking forward to following this one...

get some pics up anyway stevo

As others have said, top write up and with your previous builds having set the bar high much is expected (and looks certain to be delivered).

That Alpine Kross looks amazing, bet finding one of those wouldn't be easy as assuming they were never available to the public?

was wondering about that alpine cross
is it a 700c/29" wheeled bike
just looks like a standard 90 cro-mega frame but unsure of the wheel size

got a 90 cro-mega frame in the shed ......

The alpine kross had 700c wheels and was available to the public, infact Hilts owns one and another appeared on ebay earlier in the year.

Update

All my efforts are with the frame and forks at this time. The ‘Wildthing’ paint isn’t going to be an easy thing to achieve but I think I’ve made great progress so far.

As your aware the frame and forks have been professionally powder coated in gloss white. This will be the base layer for the design, thus the powder coated needed to be flatted back to give a good key for the design to painted on.

2011_0102astars0009-1.jpg

The frame was flatted back using dry 400 grade paper.

The design needs to be hand painted and masking for each colour would be a nightmare. Thus my idea was to spray the paint into a cap and then using a small model brush apply the paint to the frame.

2011_0102astars0012-1.jpg

Sprayed into a clean cap and then transferred using a fine brush.

From looking at the pattern and indeed a pair of shoes I think the order for applying the design is as follows:-

- Fluorescent yellow
- Fluorescent pink
- Grey
- Blue
- Black

WTPattern.jpg

The shapes and strips are pretty random so I’m just doing as I please with regards to the shapes. So far I’ve applied the fluorescent yellow and pink. I’ve done all this work in front of my heater to ensure both the paint and the frame are warm enough for the paint to cure properly. Unfortunately my camera doesn’t pick the fluorescent yellow too well, but in the flesh it looks very bright indeed.

2011_0102astars0014-1.jpg

Frame with the fluorescent yellow applied.

2011_0102astars0016-1.jpg

2011_0102astars0036.jpg

2011_0102astars0046.jpg

2011_0102astars0020.jpg

Frame with both of the fluorescent colours applied.

Whilst doing the frame I decided that I’m going with the fatter cro-mega DX forks for sure. I need to extend the threaded section of these but I’m struggling to borrow a 11/4” die to cut the threads further. If anyone has one or knows of an LBS with one please get in touch. The forks look great with the frame and I’m certain I’ve made the right choice with them.

2011_0102astars0028-1.jpg

2011_0102astars0040-1.jpg

2011_0102astars0029-1.jpg

2011_0102astars0050-1.jpg

Forks are the fatter cro-mega DX ones, made from True Temper cro-mo.

Now I’m really looking forward to getting the next 3 layers of colour on, its looking great and I’m enjoying the hand painting enormously, my own ‘Jellybean’ on a budget. Once all the layers are applied i'll flatten again with a finer paper and then decal and laquer.

With regard to the decals, i've been in touch with Tim Davies and he's agreed to help me get the decals he found over to Gil for copying. I'll post up here once Gil has done his magic with them.

Looks like another strong start for what will be a typically fantastic build.

Nice work already Mark.. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back