the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

marin man":1h8tqim0 said:
Personally ...just my opinion like.....they look horrid and should be ridden with lycra panties on....flat bars or low risers for mtbs please,if you want to be different just buy a road bike.

Think about Scott Nichol, Charlie Cunningham and Steve Potts for starters. Three advocates of Drop bar setups back in the time before suspension was really an option.

I think you are missing the "If it's old school its in" part of Retrobike. Flat bars didn't really come into fashion until the late 80's. Low risers have come in and out of fashion several times over the decades.

If you want to conform just buy the nicest new Trek your price point can afford and call it good. Why hang out here with the old school.

If any aforementioned vintage dirt drop setups come through your shop, sent the morbid things my way. I will gladly send you a replacement low rise bar and stem. And yes I do still wear Lycra under my shorts....
Cheers,
T

drop bars.........

.......tomac, and others......?

LGF, ........do you know of anyone who has a pic or archive info pic/s of the specialized rock combo.....?????????........it was a very cool bike bitd, with drop bars, based around a specialized stumpjumper basically, it came in turquoise and white, may have been early 90s maybe 1991ish?
around the time tomac was doing his thing with drop bars, and specialized tried to cash in?

Re: drop bars.........

sinnerman":2lgnpj41 said:
.......tomac, and others......?

LGF, ........do you know of anyone who has a pic or archive info pic/s of the specialized rock combo.....?????????........it was a very cool bike bitd, with drop bars, based around a specialized stumpjumper basically, it came in turquoise and white, may have been early 90s maybe 1991ish?
around the time tomac was doing his thing with drop bars, and specialized tried to cash in?

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2007/cc232 ... h0107.html

cc232-3rockcombo_frontqtr.jpg

cc232-1rockcombo_decal.jpg

Nice bump :D I have a HooKooEKoo waiting to be dropped :D

Custom only I think, theres a nice vid on rody's site of him making one.

Back