FAT Pugsley...finally!

Shamus":36hx0zk2 said:
I have ordered Alfine 11 -rear hub, but it still takes at least a month to arrive, so decided to build it with normal gears first.

I read a user review somewhere that alfines can freeze up in cold weather, don't know if it's true but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also interested in what chain guard you are running and how you are keeping the chain from jumping into the space where the small chainring should be.

unocogero":1kzinbyp said:
Shamus":1kzinbyp said:
I have ordered Alfine 11 -rear hub, but it still takes at least a month to arrive, so decided to build it with normal gears first.

I read a user review somewhere that alfines can freeze up in cold weather, don't know if it's true but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also interested in what chain guard you are running and how you are keeping the chain from jumping into the space where the small chainring should be.

I don't think that they freeze up as such but anything that's grease or oil lubricated becomes draggier in very cold conditions. Re-lubing with ATF is the way to go, by all accounts.

Looks like there's an N-Gear jumpstop fitted to prevent chain drop to the inside.

that is a really nice bike! Looks great the white frame with the red ano parts. What pressure do you run those tires?

Alfine 8 has worked well on winter conditions, hoping that 11 is at least as good.

Chainguide is K-Edge

Looks good.

I saw some similar rims recently that were drilled out between the spokes - apparently saves 200-250g per rim, which is a lot of rotating weight, and doesn't affect strength at all. The chap who had it did the drilling himself and said that it took about an hour. Obviously the holes needed to be lined to prevent the tube bulging through, even at 6 psi or so but using reflective tape looked super cool.

Dear All,

Pugsley's are great I have been riding mine for about 5 years, still going strong. Great in the snow. I even build some custom mudguards for it by sectioning a set of hybrid mudguards.

Attachments

• Pugsley when built.jpg
    Pugsley when built.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,903
  • Pugsley in the snow.jpg
    Pugsley in the snow.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,903
  • Pugsley at Slickrock.jpg
    Pugsley at Slickrock.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,903
Back