Bury wood nr Arundel 30th Dec

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Thinking of visiting Bury wood tomorrow for a bit of a play in the trees. Anyone know what the state of the weather is there currently? Snow or ice on the ground?

Would be a relaxed event as I am taking junior to try his new MTB.

Anyone else interested?

Cheers

D
[/b]

got a cold/flu/black death thing going on at the moment D, but very tempted after NY, say sunday?

Scarface and i are in talks at the moment, but haven't really decided where to go...

a few days ago it was sheet ice across much of the SDW and the surrounding woods.

Now it's melted and turned to glue. :(

Particularly sticky chalk, mud, ice composite.

Wu-Tangled":2gxp2yg7 said:
a few days ago it was sheet ice across much of the SDW and the surrounding woods.

Now it's melted and turned to glue. :(

Particularly sticky chalk, mud, ice composite.

Thanks for the update.. Will consider a plan B then :(

BobCatMax":ztic106b said:
got a cold/flu/black death thing going on at the moment D, but very tempted after NY, say sunday?

Scarface and i are in talks at the moment, but haven't really decided where to go...

Yeah just let us know.. sounds a plan

Wu-Tangled":38gzzgro said:
...Particularly sticky chalk, mud, ice composite.

I went there anyway and recalled these words merrily as I climbed the 2k up to the top. Absolutely was just that. But still, better than staying in.

On another note, I saw approx 30 deer crossing one of the trails today - I have previously seen one or two there, but there was a big bunch of them.

So mind them antlers people.

I was out on Xmas day. As I turned into the car park at the Fontwell end of Slindon Woods, the last words to go through my head were "Wow! This just looks like a giant ice rink!". At that point, both wheels slid sideways from under me. I picked myself up and went home... :roll: :)

JohnH":1q0gl2q2 said:
I was out on Xmas day. As I turned into the car park at the Fontwell end of Slindon Woods, the last words to go through my head were "Wow! This just looks like a giant ice rink!". At that point, both wheels slid sideways from under me. I picked myself up and went home... :roll: :)

Yes, I think we've all had days like that, shame it was Xmas day, hopefully you managed to dodge a bit of telly repeats and so on.

Must check out Slindon woods - I only ever went through it above slindon whilst on a ride out that way.

DA-EVO":1en8v13d said:
Yes, I think we've all had days like that, shame it was Xmas day, hopefully you managed to dodge a bit of telly repeats and so on.
I did. The best thing about it was the feeling that at least I'd got out on the bike and given it a go, rather than chickening out.

But you don't half get some funny looks from people in cars. They're off to meet their relatives, swap pressies and eat Xmas dinner -- and you're on a muddy MTB in full cold-weather gear heading for the hills... :cool:

DA-EVO":1en8v13d said:
Must check out Slindon woods - I only ever went through it above slindon whilst on a ride out that way.
To be honest Da-Evo, going through it is all I do as well.

Looking at this map, I use the subway to ride under the A27 onto Dukes Road, turn right into the car park (beige oval on the map) and then ride north through the wood until I come out near the junction at the top of Slindon Bottom Road. Just to the left of that junction, there's a boundary between two fields that goes in a northerly direction. That's a bridleway that takes you all the way to the woods to the north-east of Eartham. Once I get into that, I can head west to the woods north of Slindon, then turn south to go to Slindon Village and then head back home. From Barnham, that's about a 1h 45m loop.

Back