1970s Holdsworth Equipe Fixed Wheel

sam_white

Diamond Back Fan
This is my Holdsworth fixed wheel bike. Had this for about 4 or 5 years, frame built with parts from a Sun Snipe that I 'retired.' So, no original parts but I've tried to keep it looking right. Almost Shimano free with the exception of a UN54 bottom bracket and the SPDs, all my bikes have SPD pedals so these were a must.
Forks were replaced by previous rider, origin is unknown.
Some pictures:

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

GB Coureur Plus front brake:
PICT0004.jpg

Weinmann lever:
PICT0009.jpg

ITM stem:
PICT0013.jpg

Stronglight cranks:
PICT0007.jpg

Sturmey archer reflector:
PICT0018.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

Nearly new Velosolo cogs:
PICT0006.jpg

Rear hub is an Airlite, front Maillard. Rims Wolber Super Champion:
PICT0012.jpg

Gearing is a 52 tooth front ring, with 17 and 20 tooth cogs on the rear wheel. 20 tooth for winter, 17 teeth for the summer. With a 700c rear wheel this gives 81.9 inches and 69.6 with a 28mm tyre according to Sheldon. Front wheel is a 27 1/14 ...
I've no idea what the frame is made of, have seen similar painted Holdsworths so I think this is a replica of a more expensive model.
If anyone has any more info, please let me know.

maybe paint forks black and some black bar tape.

get a dirty harry brake lever or something instead of the weinmann one.

good clean.

the rear reflector doesent look right either.

I like that a lot - I love Holdsworth team colours. I've got a couple of Claud Butlers at the moment which I guess are built around a similar frame. This one's the first old school bike I bought, and I love it to bits - the pencil thin seat stays an the rake of the fork make it really comfortable to ride:

DSC02584.jpg

Paint looks really good; maybe give the old girl a clean and polish and some new transfers from Lloyds? http://www.hlloydcycles.com/pdflistlatest.pdf

Jonny69":h5s4j4am said:
Look after that rear rim. 40 spokers can be ridiculously difficult to get hold of :D

Unfortunately found the rear rim has a crack in it, fairly serious looking. So I'm on the lookout for a 27 1 1/4 rim, 36 or 40 spoke.

goldie":h5s4j4am said:
Paint looks really good; maybe give the old girl a clean and polish and some new transfers from Lloyds?

Paint is in terrible condition, disguised well by the camera. The bike had been washed a couple of days previously. Mudguard stays are well rusted and dirt has got inbetween the laminate of the mudguard plastic. Doesn't get much cleaner than this!

Thanks for the responses, really pleased to have identified it. I can even see where the 'equipe' transfer was on the top tube now :)

Still going strong in 2020, this bike is too useful to not have around.

There's been a few changes over the years.
The fitted forks cracked at the crown, so a more suitable and period correct set have been fitted, with a light mount awaiting use.

Mudguards fell to pieces as the plastic delaminated and cracked, to be replaced with some Esge items with stainless stays. These were thinner than the originals so a narrower rear tyre had to go on. The front tyre is still the same one!
Rear reflector was shot, so a combined reflector and LED solar powered light fitted.

Seat also started to fall apart, so a freebie Ritchey one has gone on.
Also been a new chain, chainring, chainring bolts (stainless), crank bolts and chrome covers for a more period look.
Brake pads and new cable improve the stopping power.

Off to the shops so Topeak Beamrack and Altura bag fitted temporarily.

That pretty much covers it. Wonder how it'll look in 2029/2030??

Attachments

• 20200716_154023 (Large).jpg
    20200716_154023 (Large).jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 499
Back