Components Confusion. Help!

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I have always been a bit baffled about bottom brackets and chainsets. Is it an British thread, what width should the axle and shell be, is it low profile, etc, etc! I have always relied on taking the old one to the shop and buying another like it! Can't do that this time so some help would be greatly appreciated! My question is:

Will the chainset be fit OK on the bike? Will the front mech. (sorry Ed), fit onto the frame and will it shift the chain across the chainrings? Finally, what bottom Bracket will I need to join the whole thing together?

Ta very muchly.

Attachments

• Alpine.jpg
    Alpine.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Cranks.jpg
    Cranks.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Braze on XT.jpg
    Braze on XT.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,212
Response fromt tother thread ➡️

retrobikeguy":1f3852s8 said:
You need an endless clamp version like on my kestrels, they normally come with a band that slots the back where the allen head is but you dispose of that and use a 'shaped' bolt that fits snug an the bach of the plate.

92b01a9b.jpg

b137_3.jpg

So no - the front mech in your picture wont fit.

you are going to need a long BB , 127mm I d say .
the BB you have at the moment is probably shorter , as older cranks were straight , and not bended like newer models .

for the front mech , cant you bolt it onto the plate which is welded on the frame ?

Because it's an e-stay you won't need to go mad on the length as there are no chainstays for the rings to foul on, standard 500lx used a 122.5mm so you should be able to get away with anything between 117mm and 122.5mm.

and you'll need the endless band not the braze on mech

this is 1 of the reasons OEM like the new thru axle style cranks, same length axle, fits 73mm shell or add a few spacers for 68mm. (I dont currently use a thru axle crank, just saying for info sake :)
i fully appreciate how much of a nitemare this can be! theres just so many variations of crank makes requiring different axle lengths.. theres never any guarentee re axle length until its all built up.. then its a case of.. BOLX! need a shorter/longer BB :roll: :LOL:

retrobikeguy":6y6r9ku2 said:
Response fromt tother thread ➡️

retrobikeguy":6y6r9ku2 said:
You need an endless clamp version like on my kestrels, they normally come with a band that slots the back where the allen head is but you dispose of that and use a 'shaped' bolt that fits snug an the bach of the plate.

92b01a9b.jpg

b137_3.jpg

So no - the front mech in your picture wont fit.

Thanks for the advice. Now, does anyone have one of these beasts for sale? I've had a nightmare sunday, stuck in the house with the snot twins. I could do with cheering up!

Mmmmm black XT.
My twins are 7 and there is still snot.
Tissues allways at hand (for snot).

Ahhh, you need the endless clip model, ditch the band and craft a bit of aluminium with a threaded hold to sit snuggly behind the frame braze-on.....you'll find that the bolt supplied won't be long enough (if anyone has a supply of proper longer bolts for this application please let me know!)....I have the correct XT front mech for mine, the curved aluminium bit but no bolt :(

Cheers
Stu

Back