My Bike - Raleigh Clubman - Heinz 57!

Ratsey

Retro Newbie
Some time ago forum members kindly gave me some advice on whether to get a new bike or 'upgrade' my GFs 25+ year old Clubman. I decided to keep the Clubman and wanted to share a few pictures of the results with anyone who is interested.

It's a bit of a 'Heinz 57' with regards to parts which I'm sure is not the done thing, but after replacing many bits with a selection of Campag stuff (mainly from eBay) I am really pleased with the result and it rides really well.

The front and rear mechs and shifters, etc (Campag 950) are original from the bike as is the wheels, seatpost, mudguards and handlebars, etc. However I did replace the bottom bracket for a Campag one which has made a massive difference.

The brake calipers took a bit of work to fit as I didn't want to drill the frame but I sorted it in the end. Hope people like it...

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 3,072
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 3,072
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 3,072
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,072
Didn't find a nice set of hoods for reasonable money so decided to leave them uncovered which I quite like the look of. Usually wear gloves anyway...

Although I will maybe add some at a later date.

Nice understated bike. Thanks for coming back with some pictures.

Is that Brooks bar tape?

what did you do to avoid drilling the frame? Forgive my ignorance, but looks like old style levers from a time when campag calipers had quick release adjustment so how do you get the wheels out to mend a puncture, or rather back in after inflating the tire? or have I missed a quick release on the caliper!

Thanks for the comments.

Yes that is Brooks bar tape - took ages to decide whether to go for the tape as well as the saddle but glad I did.

Although the clearance is very tight there is just enough room to get the wheels off without having to release the brakes.

In order to get these brakes onto the them frame, I swapped them over as the front brake calliper has a longer threaded rod than the back calliper but fitted my frame at the back perfectly. The front was more tricky and I solved this by putting a piece of threaded tube up inside the forks and fixing the brake calliper bolt into that. I then attached a bolt from the other side to tighten everything up. Not the best solution but it works and it means if I ever want to but the original brakes back on I can.

Hope this makes Sense!??!

Its a lovely looking bike. Love that colour and Ive just spotted an old pair of ESEG mudguards - very stylish indeed.

Ive been thinking about some Brooks tape for one of my machines is it easy to go on?

The mudguards are original, I just cleaned them and replaced the bolts.

The tape wasn't too difficult to fit. I had read some horror stories online but it seemed okay as long as I kept the tape tensioned.

try:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANE-CREEK-BICYCL ... _500wt_905

and these are excellent value:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 588wt_1139

which out in the real world look like:

tom_bromwich_refurb_ii_187.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back