2003 Rocky Mountain Slayer

yostumpy

Dirt Disciple
here it is as bought really, just raised the saddle, and put a longer stem on. i've got a Push seat post with layback coming ( I know but they're cheap), coz the RM one is in line, and too uppy for me, Also 26.8mm is an bit of an odd size. New brake pads on the way and some spd's will be replacing the platforms. Also an original pair of crudcatchers will be attatched and maybe swop the high riser bars for low risers and bar ends. Other than that I'll just ride it!
102_0177.jpg

yes it was, and I knocked him down on the BIN, with a free NEW helmet. BUT I had to undergo a 12hr snowbound Journey in my Land Rover last Sat to pick it up!! never ridden a double bouncer before, should get the Topeak shock pump any day now, as the previous owner was 3 st lighter than me. it was covered in dust having just come back from Morrocco!Its amazing there's always someone watching something your watching. Do you think it was a bargain then, I know nothing about them really (or didn't), But I quickly discovered it was KIN spensive when new. It was brought over from canada personally, presumably as they were nt that well known at the time.

Hey,now there`s a story to it-sometime you´ll laugh about it :LOL: As far as I remember the BIN was very ok! I have always been a RM fan,think they make great bikes.,not the usual stuff you become tired of..
I rode my Blizzard for 10 years,still have the frame,a true keeper.

yeah, was looking for a newer bike with discs, but wanted something a bit more obscure, I shy'd aware from all the treks, and specz, although v'good bikes, when I stop at a cafe, its nice to see people studying a rarety. Did you spy the Orange Clockword ltd ed remake with discs and front springers, was tempted by this but one size too small for me. had it have been the right size I'd have got that insted to match my orig P7, Bet it went for a lot tho'

no,haven`t seen that one. I am not so much into Orange bikes,think they are most common in UK?

Nice, but in my humble opinion that stem is way too long (and too old school) for a frame like that, and you've got the bars rolled all the way forwards as well :shock: . Just wait until you're dropping down somewhere really steep and you've got loads of brake dive to factor in too ;)

70 - 90mm would be much better - and stick with good wide risers and forget the bar ends. The Slayer was never intended to be some stretched-out XC race type of bike and by trying to make it into one I think that you'll compromise it's true capabilities and won't be able to get the best out of it. After all, it was designed to be what we now would call an AM bike and flat bars, bar ends and mile long stems don't cut it for that kind of riding.
It'd be like buying something like an Orange 5 and fitting a 130mm stem, flat bars and bar ends. It would be crap....and pointless.
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should :roll:

Of course, I'm just a miserable old curmudgeon, so I might well be talking through my ass.....

Grumpy ol' curmudgeon! not at all!. you see that is how I ride my bikes, the new seat post will push the seat back 20mm and then I can roll the bars back. also its only a 19" frame, and i'm almost 6'2", so need a nice cosy cockpit, not a sit up and beg stance. i cant ride like that. i've always been stretched out, prob coz my first MTB a saracen traverse was a 22" frame with a looong top tube and a 150 stem, and bar ends. that was soooo comfy for me. also at 48 I'm not into radical stuff any more, plenty fit enough, often do 200k audaxes, but just much more cautious. So i use it for fun, not racing, not all mountain, not freeriding, not screeming downhill,. if I end up not getting on with it, then i'll flog it and buy a disc conversion for my orange P7, (works out to be about £100), incidently my P7 is set up almost identically to the RM, and has been for about 5 years., but each to they're own, I've never been into fashion of anysort, just one peek in my wardrobe would prove that., How is your bike proportioned then? :D

Andy R":1fjdn60n said:
Nice, but in my humble opinion that stem is way too long (and too old school) for a frame like that, and you've got the bars rolled all the way forwards as well :shock: . Just wait until you're dropping down somewhere really steep and you've got loads of brake dive to factor in too ;)

70 - 90mm would be much better - and stick with good wide risers and forget the bar ends. The Slayer was never intended to be some stretched-out XC race type of bike and by trying to make it into one I think that you'll compromise it's true capabilities and won't be able to get the best out of it. After all, it was designed to be what we now would call an AM bike and flat bars, bar ends and mile long stems don't cut it for that kind of riding.
It'd be like buying something like an Orange 5 and fitting a 130mm stem, flat bars and bar ends. It would be crap....and pointless.
Just because you can doesn't mean that you should :roll:

Of course, I'm just a miserable old curmudgeon, so I might well be talking through my ass.....
another thing: this bike has less travel than a modern xc bike..so whats the problem? in old old days dh was on rigids..everythings relative eh?

imo,screw all the xc dh am fr 4x dj terms,it`s all about feeling good on the bike :cool:

Lenni":3ivbjwcc said:
another thing: this bike has less travel than a modern xc bike..so whats the problem? in old old days dh was on rigids..everythings relative eh?

imo,screw all the xc dh am fr 4x dj terms,it`s all about feeling good on the bike :cool:

Spot on ! time you got that blizzard out of the basement, put on your Raybans and went for a blast. soundz to me like you enjoy life!

Back