Ever feel like you've just ruined a good bike?

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
Maybe ruined is the wrong word.

I've just built some wheels for a late 70's Brit bike of mine. Switched from 27" to 700c with some polished alloy Velo Orange PBP rims, 32 db stainless spokes and 700x20c tan-wall tyres.

Except it doesn't look 'right' any more. The diameter is noticeably smaller, the wheels look a bit short of spokes and the tyres are too skinny. The bike has lost something. The battered Brooks saddle and narrow drop bars just look out of era.

I thought I wanted to create the ultra skinny look with older looking tan-wall tyres, but I've ended up with an Anglia on 175/50/13's and 7" wide Minilights. I guess you have to be in that scene to know what I mean, but I think I've found where modern doesn't suit retro.

Damn, and I've just re-spaced and re-dished the old wheels for her Mixte :(

Jonny69":369n0qsx said:
I thought I wanted to create the ultra skinny look with older looking tan-wall tyres, but I've ended up with an Anglia on 175/55/13's and 7" wide Minilights.

I know that exact same sinking feeling all too well :(

Sleep on it. Might look better in the morning?

sometimes you have to just roll with it and see where the build takes you.

I've resprayed frames before and then all the vintage bits just look too battered against the new paint, just give it a bit and see how you feel.

Goldie":p2ho87ip said:
Sleep on it. Might look better in the morning?
I'm thinking it might just be the tyres. I'm sitting here looking at it now and the rim to rubber ratio is wrong. The tyre sidewall is the same as the height of the rim and I think it needs a 25mm wide tyre to balance.

On the flipside, I finally have a pair of true running wheels :D

I get that feeling with nearly every build I do if I keep hold of it too long, I blame OCD and my borderline hyperthyroid :D

The problem with 700 section wheels.

27-1/4 is my standard - never waver from them, classic bikes look better for having them.

Back