Shock options for my UFO

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I want to subtly modernise the suspension on my recently aquired Orange UFO.

The original Shock wave shock wasn't the best BITD, and although still functional is not really up to much.

I have measured the length C2C of the Eyes at 6.5" (165mm), and the stroke is 1.5" ( 38mm ).

Anyone have any ideas what would be a suitable more modern replacement...and will I need to source bushes/fittings etc as standardisation seems not to exsist...

K

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i think the stroke is right for the bar as if it wasnt 38mm i think it would be quite an odd/rare(r) shock.

i was thinking fox flat too!

personal preference really

Thanks for the links and opinions gents.

I am somewhat past my ideal weight...( approx 14.5 st ) and though I plan to lose a fair bit, I will still be less than featherweight.

So looking for a trail, AM type setup on the UFO..more for durability than riding style..though I do like throwing myself down rough descents.

With that in mind I have spied a RS Monarch 4.1 which I may purchase.....that leaves the front.

I was planning on using a period fork, but now think that should be modern as well....100 to 140 mm, LO...

K

If not a Psylo upfront, then maybe a Marzocchi AM or similar. 130mm will be easy to come by and they're pretty durable (and easy to maintain). Still think a Psylo would be my first choice though.

Sadly, can;t seem to locate a decent Psylo....picked up a Nixon Platinum though.

Might be a little too long for the frame at 145mm, though reorts suggest they tend to come in a little shorter.

Still undecided about the rear, Chainreaction have the Monarchs 4.2 and 3-way Coil swingers at a good price, and I think coil may be best.

They also have a 3-way air, but its a 178 X 40, would I get away with this, or would it totally mess up the geometry?

K

EarlofBarnet":2jrx0vme said:
178 will be too long. A few mm's off 165 should be ok but I wouldn't go any more.

Thanks.

Opinions on coil or air...bearing in mind I currently weight 14st ish...cough cough !!!

I have run a couple of steeds on fox RP * pumped up to the limit...but am always wary of blowing seals.

K

Strangely i've just picked up a dirt cheap UFO too and was thinking about upgrading the suspension. Lots of very useful information here guys, thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back