Went to a cycle jumble this morning, Spec' M2 frames anyone?

Max P

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Quite a few old bits there - including an ancient looking Muddy Fox MTB frame - original black paint with gold decals, appeared to be badged as 'Muddy Fox' made by Araya IIRC (rim people?!).

Met an old guy I used to know from MTB days who had a few Specialized frames for sale - again IIRC there were a couple of M2 S works at £30 cheap as chips but I was not 100% sure about them...also an early steel Stumpjumper at around £75. If anyone is interested PM me and I will pass on the number.

Mrs Wu had teh idea of a bike jumble years ago and I told her it was a waste of time and wouldn't catch on cos of ebay.

Er...where was it? Is there a regular one or a series of them in differenr places?

It was the first one I have ever been to and was small but good fun. Just outside Epping - bit of vintage, bit of modern - mostly 50's to 80's though.

I went as I am building up a basic 700c SS 'street bike' - got a pair of brand new Campag Centaur brakes for £20 and a virtually new Veloce chainset for another £20.

TBH if I had taken a bit more cash I could have filled the boot and doubled up on most stuff there compared to ebay prices - lots of old roadies clearing out their garages at giveaway prices.

I've never been to one of these - but they sound great. how do you get to find out about them? where are they advertised? Is it worth having a sticky or even section for upcoming events like these jumbles? Police auctions too.

You can find the traditional cycle jumbles in the back of Cycling Weekly. You can get all sorts and there are some very surly, traditional cycling types (the sort that have never found the need for social skills) mixed in with a few traders and some genuine enthusiasts who are clearing out their garage/shed but don't want the hassle of packing and posting stuff.

I went to one and came away with some new M540 pedals, a NOS red kevlar Flite, some NOS bar tape, a great condition Syncros stem and a copy of French Revolutions (superb read) for £25!

If anyone is coming to the Real Ale Wobble and fancies reading it I'll bring my copy along (relies on them reading this thread of course).

Apologies for going so off topic - but still interested in the steel Stumpjumper!

Back