Raleigh Peak

Wobbly John

Retrobike Rider
Just finished rebuilding a Retro MTB - a Raleigh Peak - about 1994 I think. K2 Cromoly tubeset, lugged frame. Blue with orange transfers (worn off thank goodness). 7 speed XT gear train with Xt thumbies.

Bought it for £15 from a local charity shop. :shock: If I hadn't bought it the local chavs would probably have bought/stolen it and wrecked it within a couple of days.

Had to fit new bottom bracket, saddle and handlebar grips and swapped the bar-ends. Readjusted/serviced headset and rear wheel bearings. Frame has been stripped of components, washed down with degreaser, and T-Cut.

The XT brake levers had had the rapid-fire gearshifters sawn/snapped off so I filed the raw edges smooth and blended in and resprayed them satin black. also sprayed the stem as it had surface rust and seatpost as paint was worn.

The front wheel is not original - a Vuelta Airline on Acera hub.

I bought the purple LX equipped version of this bike new BITD, but it got nicked from my garage. :mad:

Photos when I've had a chance to ride out on it.

I thought it was, although mine was un-named. Just Raleigh on the frame in green.

There was a place in Barnsley that used to sell them at reduced prices - I've an idea that they were intended for export.

Not the cleanest of bikes - lots of scuffs from previous life, but for a total cost of £25...

grave1.jpg

rearmech.jpg

frontmech.jpg

bars.jpg

If these bars are Titanium, why do magnets stick to them? :evil:

river.jpg

Are you sure that's a Peak? The shot-in seat-stays are the same as in the 1993 catalogue but the colour and orange decals you describe sound more like a Ravine.

1993-Raleigh-Ravine.jpg

I also thought that the K2 range was replaced with the M-Trax range in 1994 which pegs it back to 93.

Could well of course be a colour variation for export or the UK market, who knows.

Nice find though.

The '92 catalogueshows the Peak in the Azure Blue colour, and the whole range with rear facing seatpost split. Someone on another forum I post on has just bought one of these off ebay for £7.50 :eek:

The bike I have, has got XT from 93 so I assume it was original kit. The bars are also 'titanium alloy' rather than 501 as shown on the Ravine, so I think the bike I have was an upgrade from the Ravine.

The bike I bought new, was the colour of the 'Ridge' in the '92 catalogue. I bought it in '95 as an old stock and it had '94 LX shifters & mechs. It too had the shot in seat stays & forward facing seatpost split.

What a bargain :D

Back