Today I've mostly been...

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
...removing canti/v-brake mounts from my new frame!

Pretty nerve racking taking to a frame and removing the mounts, but it wasn't too bad to be honest. Chopped off what I could, then filed down the weld and finished off by smoothing off with some wet and dry. Quite pleased with myself :LOL:

Frame with mounts:

Frame.jpg

Bit of work and now they're gone:

27122010443.jpg

Quick flick over with some paint to check all is smooth:

27122010445.jpg

Job done. That is all :D

Nerve-wrecking to say the least. One slip when chopping them off and it's bye-bye frame :shock:
Turned out pretty good though :cool:

Yup, I was a bit nervous about doing it. However, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I've done a fair bit of car bodywork in the past, and I think some of the basics helped.

What did you use to chop the mounts off with? A hand saw or something electric?

I've a frame that needs a similar modification.

Nice job by the way.

just remembered i have a set of rigid forks in the shed that could stand to loose the canti mounts.
i feel a project coming on!

I used a junior hacksaw to get the main part of the mount off. Which really just left the weld and a small part of the mount left. Then just got a file and took to it until I was nearly down to the tube. Finally used some 240 grit wet & dry on a sanding block and smoothed it down. Just kept checking it at different angles to check how much weld material was left. You can feel when it's nice and smooth.

Honestly wasn't too bad. Just a bit daunting that if you go too far then the job's off. Take your time and go easy and it'll be right :)

Back