Fork problems

random_dave_1

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I seem to be having a spot of bother with my Judy XCs. The travel is lovely since fitting the speed springs but when i come off a kerb or the like and lift the front end they are 'topping out' (not sure what the opposite to bottoming out is!). Any ideas how this can be fixed? It didn't used to happen before I took the knackered elastomers out.

Thanks for your help guys!

Have you checked the damper cartridge? The springs place greater pressure on the cartridges and they tend to blow their oil..

The old elastomer elements had their own damping properties, and because of that, you dodn't notice a blown cartridge. The Speed Springs have no damping...therefore the top out...

Try rebuilding your cartridge...it's not that hard. It may last a minute, it may last a year after the rebuild. Roll the dice!

rb

This indeeds sounds like a fast rebound. Some of the cartridges can be adjuated. As far as I know, the XC ones can't be adjusted, the SL's have a knob on the underside (like the SID's) and you can change the rebound slower or faster.
The SID have an amimation on it with a rabbit and a trutle.
The elastomers are slower in rebound than springs and I think the damper cartridge is set on elastomer, so have a look on the underside, if the allen bolt on the right side is open you can change it with a small allen key, or with the adjuster if it is on it.
If that isn't possible, you can open the forks and check (like said) the cartridge.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll check the cartridge. If I have no joy I might change back to elastomers (I was lucky enough to find a LBS with not only a set of speed springs but also a supply of replacement elastomers, they charged me a tenner for the lot!). It never occurred to me that the rebound rate would be different but now I think about it that is pretty obvious!

Back