The British Eagle revisited - Page 8

i did a Zaskar frame with Autosol and wire wool. then used T-cut and a soft cloth for super shine. tip:-WEAR GLOVES! i did not and had black hands for days afterwards.

Going Straight

For tonight's instalment I decided to unbend the rims

I have cunning method for this, low tech and zero budget of course!

It involves bending them back again, but obviously this needs to be controlled and progressive

A picture tells 1000...

Undesirable curves:

DSCF1858.jpg

DSCF1848.jpg

Here's my cheapo method of pushing them out:

Done in stages, clamp up tight against a piece of hardwood, I used maple go and have cuppa, release, check, clamp some more as appropriate!

DSCF1862.jpg

The results are spot on

DSCF1879.jpg

Rims are gonna have a bath tomorrow in caustic soda! My research indicates this should eat away the ano but not the alu

I have an old seat clamp I will test first though!

MCsanandreas, Gloves will be worn!

weeman_mtb, thanks for the encouragement. This one is going to be a 'blinder' quite literally :cool: will be required for viewing

Good call on the elbow grease, set me to thinking I'm recording my £ spend, But I'm going to record my time spend too

As most of this build is making the best of what's there rather than replacing stuff, time will be the big factor - and a few tins of elbow grease

I think there is some kind of plumbers product you can get from B&Q that will strip ano. And probably a damn sight safer and more pleasant than caustic soda.

Tazio":3i6l78t4 said:
I think there is some kind of plumbers product you can get from B&Q that will strip ano. And probably a damn sight safer and more pleasant than caustic soda.

The caution is a sensible one

But the effective nature of all those products: Oven cleaners, drain cleaners etc is either Sodium hydoroxide or Phosphoric acid or something equally nasty

So I'll be wearing gloves and eye protection and plenty of cold fresh water on hand

This process needs to be done carefully or the aluminium might get damaged if the caustic soda is given too much time in contact with the parts

Apparently non aluminium content EG copper, will then show as black spots on the surface

I'll be sure to photograph and document the process

BTW caustic soda is available for £2.50 for 500g, without precription from Boots the chemist :D

Who'd have though it! When I bought it I said "why do you stock this stuff?"

Apparently some people do actually use it as drain cleaner

Apparently the shelf that the product was on, is known by the staff as the 'bomb making section'

Gawsh

Still not quite sure how I'll polish up those tyres though, sweetie ;)

just ride around in the snow ,cleans tyres up a treat m8
dish washer powder it usually caustic ,great for cleaning 2stroke exhausts

mikee":1lo45idf said:
just ride around in the snow ,cleans tyres up a treat m8
dish washer powder it usually caustic ,great for cleaning 2stroke exhausts

lol yeah, i dragged my stumpjumper the outside, so much fun drifting on 2 wheels, requires alot of skill tho ;)

P.s never seen in my entire life a self-polished rim. the outcome should be awesome.

My Kind of Christmas!

DSCF1875.jpg

BTW I didn't get the chemicals for Christmas, but they are pictured as I did use them today...

Latest posts

Back