Any Italian RB'ers in/near Milano?

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Hi folks,
Just wondering if any of our Italian brethren might be able to help with an ebay purchase? Please PM me if you can!

Cheers,
Gareth.

Perhaps you should indicate what help you are hoping to receive. I know a number of people in Milan, but much would depend on teh extent of the help needed.

Wish I was....... just north of Milan heading up to Lago Maggiore.
How I would love to take the road bike out there for a week!

Good point ... ;)

Actually, what I'd ideally like is the help of an RBer since it's not straightforward. There's a bike on ebay.it located in Milan - and I want the crankset and ideally the bottom bracket. The rest of the bike is nothing special to me and I'm perfectly willing to let a third party have it in return for removing the cranks and sending them on. That, of course, requires time and expertise and so is basically strictly RB territory.

The seller is prepared to send it to me in Brussels, but quoted me €90. That would be on top of a slightly overpriced €130 for the bike, so that's €240 for the crankset, minus whatever I managed to get back for the bike after throwing new cranks on. Postage within Italy is quoted at €30 which is better, but the listing says that collection is preferred.

Personally, I don't think that anyone will be able to help but I don't think the bike will sell either so I'll wait til the end of the auction and ask the seller if he'll split the cranks off. I can send him a cheapo replacement to complete the build if he wants.

The bike is this one, but the way:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0683384239

Cheers,
Gareth.

Citoyen du monde":1t9gvbni said:
Perhaps you should indicate what help you are hoping to receive. I know a number of people in Milan, but much would depend on teh extent of the help needed.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
What's so special about those cranks? If your looking for some cottered steel cranks maybe I can help... but I'm sure there are plenty of those around Brussels too...no?

Look closely - they're cotterless! Campagnolo Sport 3320, predecessor of the Gran Sport in alloy. 3-arm cotterless cranks were rather a short lived development since they largely coincided with the shift to aluminium when it was realised/decided that the 3-arm pattern in alloy was not stiff enough, hence the rise of the 5-arm standard.

Apart from the Camapg one in this auction, I've seen pics of steel cotterless cranks by Stronglight and Gnutti, and read about Nervar ones. Of course, the choice of cottered cranks is far larger.

jCymbal":20cbrhl9 said:
What's so special about those cranks? If your looking for some cottered steel cranks maybe I can help... but I'm sure there are plenty of those around Brussels too...no?

I had seen that bike and was considering doing the same thing, but decided in the end that the cost would be prohibitive. I'll ask one of my friends if they can perhaps help you. You might also want to ask precisely where they are located as MILAN is rather big and traffic is a bitch...

The seller is being very friendly and responsive. Apparently he's just outside Milano, "in Gorgonzola country"! Lucky guy! In any case, assuming he's in/near the town of Gorgonzola then he's about 15km ENE of downtown Milano, in the direction of Bergamo. I would imagine that this makes matters harder, if anything, for your local contacts though!

Cheers,
Gareth.

Back