A couple of Critters

biggs682":xbnsldcc said:
what a nice pair , are they nice to ride ?

Basic but light and responsive. They have none of the sophistication of modern bikes with index gears, but the steel frames are stiff and give good handling. Both these are in pretty light trim.

I had a Carlton Circuit, with a similar frame to Spokesmann's Criteriums, and I'd definitely go along with his comments. It wasn't exceptionally light when on the scales, but on the road there was some sort of alchemy taking place that made it possible to forget that there was a bike connecting the contact points at all. If you're built like me with a long upper body, the comparatively long top tube that Carltons were built with is great as well. My weight just seemed to rest in the right place.

Mine had a thirty year old Brooks on it, which just fit perfectly. All in all, a really nice bike, that belies the idea that top end componentry is necessary to enjoy your ride.

DSC02457.jpg

:D WoW both these Carlton Criteriums are just fabulous Mike If My resto one turns out half as good as yours I,ll be more than happy :D

Lovely looking bikes!

What brake blocks do you use - originals or aftermarket replacements? How do they get on with the steel rims?

Cheers,
Gareth.

garethrl":1qez19el said:
Lovely looking bikes!

What brake blocks do you use - originals or aftermarket replacements? How do they get on with the steel rims?

Cheers,
Gareth.

I have a supply of NOS stuff. The ones on there now are red Weinmanns.

Took one of them for a quick blast this morning.

P1300681.jpg

P1300678.jpg

Damn cold!

Back