Pace RC200 advice

s_zigmond

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all,

Just wondered what your views were on the red rc200 frame crrently on ebay. Unfortunately i cant post a link to it.

It seems very cheap and the "slight crack" worries me, but i dont know much about the rc200. Is this a case of walk a way or not something to worry about.

Thank you in advance for your help.

an old aluminium frame with a crack?

Walk away!

if it'sshowing signs offatigue then chances are it'll shortly show signs elsewhere, head-tube, BB etc!

s_zigmond":4ucvw47o said:
Is this a case of walk a way or not something to worry about.

Ally frame with a crack, I'd run away!. As Joe says, it'll be fatigued elsewhere.

Pace rigs are nice, yes, but I'd suggest wait, pay a little more and get a good one.

I bought mine is slightly scratched but otherwise excellent condition for £275. They are out there, just look carefully. Ask the seller some very specific questions and use the answers to hold him to account if the frame is not as described.

You want to know the following:

Is there any 'marbling' of the anodising? (indicating stress or bending in a specific area)
Is there any gouging of the metal because of crash damage?
Has the BB sleeve ever been replaced? (this can be due to ham fisted BB installation, however it is a common place for Pace's to crack and they could be making a problem)
Has the frame ever been welded? If so by whom? (Pace have replaced tubes for people. Your mate Darren cannot!)
Is the finish original? (Many people have had theire Pace's customised over the years, including a few people on this site. However view a non standard finish with a degree of caution, if everything else is fine, then proceed, if there is any doubt walk away.)
Do the headset cups fit snugly? (the frame may have lead a very hard life and the lower race an sometimes spread the frame)

Hope this helps. :D

That Pace frame looks like the one I sold recently on ebay. They even use the exact same description apart from it now has an added crack. I sold it about 2 months ago. YOu might wanna get pics of the crack, because if that turns out to be nothing its a good clean frame. Its a bit wierd though that its for sale again, and not from the buyer I sold it to. I'm pretty sure its mine, there arn't that many red F8's with Canti mounts.

Cheers

Cheers for all your advice. I will keep looking. 1 final question, i have always wanted a RC200 since they came out. I plan to turn it into a single speed. Has anyone done this? Any advice, or reasons not to use an rc200 for this purpose?

thank you again

There's a fine looking 200f5 (ithink) circa 1997 frame for €350 on ebay.it at the moment. My Italian is frankly pants so I can't work out if the vendor will post to dear old blighty.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
WOW....a Pace owner who lives on the edge of Kinder......you lucky man!!! :D

Chapel Gate track is still one of the hairiest things I have ever been down on two wheels :shock: :shock:

Guess I am! Took eldest radarling(7) for a spin upto White Lady then down to the bottom of Coldwell Clough yesterday. Kinder really is a very special place. I get sort of complacent at times. I shouldn't!

Back