Raleigh Record Sprint 1985.

Well it looks like I must have the other small framed one as mine is virtually identical to yours. I've owned it for about 10 years, ony non standard thing is the Ritchey Vector saddle and gold cage type pedals I have fitted. They're a lovely bike, very responsive and I think they look great!

Well I went out for a little ride for the first time on the Raleigh to see how I got on with the bike and this riding on the road thing.
I set of a bit tentatively as this is the first bike I have stripped and re built myself, so checking it started and stopped and changed gear as it should do, all seem to be going well so I was off, down the first hill, getting a bit of speed up and then a massive wobble on the front through the bars, yes there may have been a little bit of wee. I hadn’t tightened the stem up properly, lesson learned there. The next 10 miles went by very quickly and without incident. My current bike is a 140mm hard tail MTB that a trash around Gisburn forest but I seem to settle in the Raleigh very nicely. I enjoyed riding it more than I thought and I was genuinely surprised by how smooth the ride felt.

Looking forward to doing a few more miles in it, the only down side is I seem to have become a bit OCD with cleaning it, is this normal?

Brian.

Nice bike, but you do seem to have the 'bars a bit high. Is the stem inserted past the minimum insertion mark?

As LGF says the compulsive cleaning is all perfectly normal and well worth it to keep it looking this nice.

Mark.

A beauty, thats what I had and was asking about in another thread.
Concave rims iirc, and the brake levers had little QR tabs for wheel changing.
At some point before my brother destroyed it I bought a pair of those teardrop shaped 18mm Wolber rims to carry on the aero-design.

There it is with Look pedals and Campag water bottle at an '80s London to Brighton
050510140423.jpg

Back