The best ride you did in 2010

Piperdave":3oj8qecx said:
tintin40":3oj8qecx said:
None this year. Will make sure that next year is better.

What... not 1 ride...all year.....come on........

Not any that where special. I enjoyed the IoW meet. But i didn't ride any where exceptional.

3 rides with groups, 2 on retro bike have been excellent for differing and the same reasons. Same reasons, good company and the camaraderie. Differing reason, weather, location and views.

Personally, Penyghent on modern, set with train times in mind and managing

settle.jpg

And a road ride on Raleigh Road Ace first time out

roadace.jpg

And it was Retrobike that inspired it all. Thankyou

For me the single greatest ride of my entire year was at MacRetros very own meet at Glentress in October. I was convinced my ME was going to act up making me slow and pathetic. As it turned out I was on fire fleeing up the black route on my rigid Raleigh and making Dr. S really work on his modern full susser to keep up. I was in the zone, a very rare and wonderful experience. Bizarrely a week or two later at Carron Valley I was in the zone again :D

However normal service has now resumed and I'm knackered :roll:

SSEC at the Forest of Doom (Dean) was also a seriously epic great ride !!

So many highlights again this year. Hambleton's 'Green Valley of Death' was a fun start to the year, riding with MacRetro was as good as ever and Cut Gate and the 3 Tribes were excellent. Loads of great summer evening rides at Thrunton with the locals, the Global Nightride was class too. BDW was marred by an epic hangover (thanks Gil) and a downpour of biblical proportions so i guess it has to be Ambleside and the Tunnels. Gorgeous Lakes lanscapes, loads of singletrack, the right crowd and a peaceful relaxing (if bitterly cold) bit of solo camping the night before.

That said, must do more next year!

Not a hard call for me - This... simply stunning, Thanks Mr P.

DSCF2200.jpg

Bridge of Orchy - Blackmount/West Highland Way - Glen Etive - Overnight in Bothy - Dash to pre arranged private ferry - Breakfast at Inverawe Smokehouse - Loch Etive Cliff road - Glen Kinglass - Bridge of Orchy.

Or as Mr P put it so eloquently...
The Road of the Innocent - The Track of Bones - The Road of Niceness - The Walk of Pain - The Spade of Shame - The Road of Splendour - The Dark Glen of Corpses - The Road of the Innocent

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99485
GlenEtiveMap.jpg

And just incase you think the names are inaccurate here are some shots of the Dark Glen of Corpses...
4553589169_992dd2afbd_b.jpg

4554225524_2657eae085_b.jpg

DSCF2206.jpg

One of us nearly fell into that last one.

peaks,bdw,clipstone,local rides................ :? hard one to answer.

but,prob the 1st time i rode my trek 9000 this spring,nothing hard or long.just a cool 1 hour local loop,dry,fast,mp3 on,trek was faultless and i felt i was the only person to still ride one.loved it :cool:

Tricky one :? but despite quite a few bad bits the Strathpuffer lite for me was the best riding experience this year. I went through a period of some hefty stomach cramps but cycling through the night and watching the sun go down and come back up was quite magical. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Kirro trip with the NEyorkies and the coast to coast.

Very tricky one this, I'm pretty certain the best event was OWMTBC which I enjoyed from the very first to the very last minute.

59388_499654529761_612249761_7179264_3810416_n-1.jpg

Head to head with a proper 'big gun' Mr Tim Davies.

_mg_1227_edit_199.jpg

Flying through the Marin Trails 'Dragons Back' section. Great memories.

But probably the best ride for me was the Hell of North Cotswolds. I still can't believe I managed to complete the 100k course. Retrobike riding has not only introduced me to some great people but also massively boosted my fitness.

20100411AX3430EM-1.jpg

Through the river crossing aboard my dream bike. Surely this is what RB is all about

20100411AF5144EM-1.jpg

Feeling the pain on the final ascent of Cleave Hill.

Hoping for more of the same in 2011.

Best ride is a really tough one as I have many happy cycling memories from 2010 that will stay with me for a long time. Highlights include HoNC, the Fred Whitton, SSEC10 in the Forest of Dean, a couple of Retrobike FoD Meets, Paris-Roubaix, OWMTBC and l'Eroica.

However I'd probably single out a road ride that I did on my own on the August Bank Holiday Monday. I didn't intend to go far so set off with nothing more than a woolen jersey, a cheap Vegetable Tikka pasty from Londis and a bit of sunshine. After about 40 minutes I decided I may as well ride Gospel Pass. And I did. Time to go home I thought but as soon as that idea entered my head I turned right out of Hay on Wye towards Cusop and effectively rode the hills again, not sure of where I was heading but having a vague sense of the right direction. Mile after mile of quiet, undulating roads, enhanced only by Columbus Max and downtube shifters. Ended up being out for 6 hours which flew by. Here's to more of it in 2011.

Back