December rBoTM - Your nominations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
NickD":37f7phru said:
Citoyen du monde, can you clarify your comment on the rear mech on the Carlton? Is it Gran Sport rear mech's in general that stopped at '63, or just this model? As I have a 65 bike with it's original, Gran Sport, rear mech.

FWIW, I tend to build with the closest components I can, I can't tell the difference between a lot of the Campag components anyway, and I'm not going to spend many times the price of my existing components for something that looks 99.9% the same, but has a different date stamp.

Spokesmann, lovely bike - I wish my '65 flyer still had some of it's chrome left like yours.

Thanks for your comments! ;)

Citoyen du monde":3k8hgmlu said:
This bike brings back thoughts of the Panasonic team bikes. If you were to switch the pump peg on the head tube for a number tag on the bottom of the top tube, I bet you could pass this bike off for a team-issue bike. Lovely! Are you the original owner?

Hi, I'm the third owner, the last guy had it for about 5 years and it was kept company in his garage by a 531c Ti and a 531c Team Banana as well as some lovely Colnago's! I was looking for the kind of bike that I couldn't afford when I was a kid starting out racing in the mid 80's and this came along - it's my dream spec! This is my 'Sunday best' bike for special days only. It's not far off team bike spec, I've got some photo's of the Raleigh team bikes from when I watched a stage of the Kellogs tour and the frame is identical apart from (as you said) the number tag.

Here comes my Raleigh Competition (Reynolds 531) : campagnolo super record derailleur, Phil Wood / Mavic Open Pro wheels, Gilles Berthoud bag,...
A lovely bike :cool:
If you want to know more and see the last upgrades :
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76844&start=0

4228773272_40dab9b4d0_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back