Tips for night riding

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
As per the title really - any suggestions? Things you didn't think of and learned by (hopefully not bitter) experience? Lighting recommendations?

Sorry couldn't resist that. Think that the new led systems that are coming along are good. Some are brighter than the hid systems and a lot cheaper.

If you've not tried it before, just get some bright lights & do it - it's brilliant! :)

I'm never out for much more than an hour or so at night, so I don't need flashy LED kit - the old halogen ones can be at least as bright, they just don't have the same battery life... My homebrew ones cost notalotatall, but are damn bright :cool:

Take your phone for when you fall off into the bushes, an LED headtorch for when your main battery dies / you need to fix a puncture, & something warm enough for the long walk back if you break something that you can't fix on the trail!

i've been using the hope HIDs recently, pretty bright, long narrow beam, best used with a headlight for more technical trails due to the narrow beam. infact I'd recommend both a bar mount & headmount for better depth perception, undulations in the trails, sharp corners & long grass/reeds/ferns
I'd start with trails you know well before going further afield. also bring a small light incase of mechanicals. I also bring a spare battery, aside from getting a 5hr burn time, not really worth the risk of running outta light miles from anywhere! battery life is normally less when its very cold, so factor that into the burn time.

I havent night ridden before :oops:
I am awaiting delivery of some nice BLT lights from Wiggle, so will report back after this weekend (if Royal Mail decide to deliver :x )

scant":1ofqpdj4 said:
battery life is normally less when its very cold, so factor that into the burn time.

Ooohhhh, didnt know that. Well they say you learn something new every day!

Thanks guys, useful stuff.

I take it that it goes without saying that you don't ride alone at night?

Back