restroring thumb shifters - new decals??

JediPaddler

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got some Shimano Thumbies, the top decal is peeling / damaged.

Has anyone ever managed to source replacements?

Cheers.

This was going to be winter project this year, I'll see what I can do when I have a little spare time

Are you looking for Deore or XT?

JediPaddler":35v3c45f said:
I've got some Shimano Thumbies, the top decal is peeling / damaged.

Has anyone ever managed to source replacements?

Cheers.

That top decal thing is just a sheet of clear plastic, lift it off your thumbies will look like new beneath

Water gets under there after 20 years:)

Pics

Here's a pic:

DSCF1805.jpg

Of course it is possible yours are gouged or whatever

But in the first instance get that clear layer off and see what you get

The other thing is, that top plate, is just a disc of dished aluminium glued onto the plastic top cap, so it can be lifted, as I had to do due to a dent, and then panned back into a dish, well pushed with thumb, it is very soft material. I then glued it back on with waterproof contact adhesive.

But yes stickers to replace the existing decal on that alumium plate might be an aesthetic idea for some.

Oh, and the plastic discs that were on top of the decal plate on mine were long gone, but how old are these things twenty years plus in all elements, my, they have done well.

Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't checked in for a couple of days.

They are Deore shifters. They are down to the aluminium. Tempting as it may be to stick some XT top caps on I think it may be a little wrong :oops: :oops: but thanks for the offer.

Gil_M,

if you do come up with replacement stickers, I'd be interested.

Cheers.

For a while I was running XT shifters with the Deore top caps, I just liked the silver, now they are back to the xt grey. All the parts are interchangeable.

Was it just that XT had a grey top and an alloy bracket as opposed to other types, as I also have the steel and flaky paint Deore brackets.

I know this i an old thread i was just wondering if you sorted it Did the top cap decals ever come to fruition?
Could do with sorting mine out")

Back