pre ‘81 Falcon Majorca

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Just thought I'd better pop this in here, it's nothing special, but rides quite well and has some lovely 600 Arabesque on it

I know nothing about the bike at all, so if anyone has any info it would be gratefully received

4582696042_4e2633dfce_b.jpg

3357832647_11c82ce564_z.jpg

4582058009_6e74102b3e_z.jpg

3358604020_ccb0a33f88_z.jpg

If you still want info on this I can give it a shot :D

The frame design seems to be very similar to 2 of my soon to start projects which from the 70's. Falcon's back them days were handbuilt in Brigg, along with some claudbutlers. Like alot of bikes back then its a 10-speed and will have originally been built up as a road racer with drop bars. They often used Weinmann brakes and Rigida rims. Not the most expensive or desirable bikes to most people but some (me) still regard them to be british engineering at it's best. One of mine for comparison:

debbie%252520%2525288%252529.jpg

Andy, your bike will be pre 1981. I was in charge of frame design and production at Falcon in Brigg during 1981 and I remember we decided to braze on top tube cable guides on all frames. The dealers loved the Shimano 600.
Not top notch bikes but actually all hand built and value for money. Some of the builders, both male and female, would hand braze more frames in a week than a custom builder would in several years, consequently they had very high skill levels and I had no qualms about them building 753 frames for the Falcon pro team. When I was there there was a team of around 12 producing 400 frames a week.

Re:

Falcon is a British company. Elswick-Hopper group purchased Falcon brand. Later on, become Elswick-Falcon 1982. In 1987 purchased by Holdsworth including Claud Butler. Ernie Clements was one of the best designer. His name was used on some of their bike models. Barry Hobans name was also used few times on their bikes.
Before the whole firm was acquired by Townsend (1991), who had also acquired Ernie Clement's old firm Coventry Eagle. Mr Clements moved to Ledbury and ran his own cycling shop from 1989 until his death in 2006.

Re:

Definitely a Falcon Majorca.

I bought one in 1981. Frame the same.Can't remember cable runs. In addition to the 600ex arabesque rd fd and levers, mine had SR Sakae stem & drops; SR Lapride seat pin & SR Custom Chainset; Shimano tourney brakes.
Can't remember much about the wheels but the were pretty basic.

I would have been limitted in budget and it did me well. Did some touring on it but the brakes weren't up to Pyranean descents and too high gearing (12 speed). Going up one pass my missus on her 18 speed Revell Romany dropped me big time and she had the food and the money. With my kneecaps about to ping off and a Vulture circling over head I decided a new bike needed......2nd hand Raleigh Randonneur bought & still happily used.However happy memories of times out on my Majorca.

(I believe I met Mr Clements when I dropped into the shop in Ledbury.He said the Falcon bikes including mine were his)

Back